Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 02:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ending of Child Support

Started by aweronka32, May 25, 2004, 06:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweronka32

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the age is in Michigan for the ending of Child Support. Also what happens if a father owes arrears does the collection of all support end at 18 or does he keep paying till his arrears are paid off too.

Thanks

Feelincrazy

Well, I can only tell you what happens in PA.  In PA, it ends at age 18 or when the child graduates High school (WHICHEVER IS LONGER).  Yes, support will continue in PA if arrearages are incurred, until arrearages are paid off.

Good luck.  Look at this link...it needs acrobat reader.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FIA-PUB-0748_71385_7.pdf

stepmomm

I can add that in OK, the child support stops when either the child graduates HS or is 19 years of age.
The child support will be ending for us this year.

nosonew

In Kansas, age 18 or graduates from HS, whichever is latest.  

I am just guessing, but do arrears ever go away?  I think not.

KAT

YES, there is an SOL on the collection of child support in Michigan it is 10 years from the date the last payment was due. However if you haven't been proactive in collection of support there are other defenses that come into play and possible case law. Sitting back expecting unpaid child support as a retirement account is no longer a slam dunk. (NOT saying that you are!!!!!!)
Emancipation in Michigan is as follows:
Termination of support at 18, but may be ordered until 19 1/2 for completion of high school or beyond by agreement
No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.