Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:49:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DH Changing Jobs - Income Withholding for CS and Medical Insurance/COBRA

Started by jilly, Jul 29, 2004, 10:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jilly

DH will be starting a new job in two weeks. He has 2 child support orders (2 different children in 2 different counties) and has voluntary income withholding to pay CS.  He carries medical insurance on only 1 of the children.
For the first 3 months of employment at his new job he will be working through an agency and at the end of that 3 months will go on his new employer's payroll. I know that his current employer will have to notify CSE that he is no longer employed with their company and that when he becomes an actual employee for his new employer they will have to send a New Hire Notice to CSE.
I believe that during the 3 month interval DH will have to make payments directly to CSE.  Has anybody else had a similar situation? Will CSE send DH a letter once they get notice from his current employer regarding paying his CS? Did a brief change in how payments were made cause any problems as far as CSE not crediting the payments?
WIth regards to the medical insurance, DH is going to have coverage from day 1 through the agency. However, when he becomes an employee at his new job there may be a lapse of coverage of 60 to 90 days. I think the time frame depends on his actual start date. DH is going to maintain the medical insurance with the agency through COBRA. This is going to be at a cost of $200.00+ a month. Quiet frankly, I don't think our budget can afford that.
I have talked to HR where I work and have been told that you have 60 days in which to enroll in COBRA.  As long as noone goes to the doctor during that time you could probably skate by.  But, if you go to the doctor and then sign up for COBRA it's retroactive and you have to pay out the ying yang.
DH and I discussed this last night and I told him that he would just have to e-mail BM and let her know what the situation is and not to take son to the doctor during that time. He has decided not to tell BM that he's changing jobs. I understand why he doesn't want to tell her, but she's going to find out sooner or later anyway because he's going to have to give her the new insurance information (from the agency) and then have to give her the insurance information for his new employer when he becomes eligible.
Has anybody else been through this situation? Is DH right that it's better to let sleeping dogs lay for now?  The way I see it, if she's going to file for modification of the CSO based on change of employer she's going to do it. True, it will be put off a little bit longer, but it will still happen. For that matter, his ex could do the same thing when she finds out he's changing jobs.
ARRRGGGHHHH...sometimes all this stuff is aggravating!
Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Jill

DLO_FL

My dh went through this before he was injured, he was working for a temp agency before becoming a employee through another company ( 3 mos. also). but he ended up getting hurt and let go due to his injury.

What dh did was contacted CSE and gave them his new employer's (temp agency's) name, address etc. and before he even turned around, they were deducting from his pay. CSE never contacted him with a letter, his check was just deducted.

To keep current with support, your dh should send payments to CSE, or the disbursement unit, keeping good records of all payments made. What we did, was requested a current payment audit, and after we made some, and on those that were deducted, we requested another payment audit just to make sure payments were applied correctly. Your dh can request a payment audit too and should.

If there are any problems, then you just send them copies of deducted check stubs, and copies of payments you personally sent to CSE - I would NOT send your payment to CP, if you are not ordered to do so.  

jilly

Thanks for the information.  I will talk to DH about contacting CSE and giving them then agency's information. Will certainly be alot easier than writing a check! But, if he decides not to do that and just write the checks we will at least have copies of the canceled checks to prove that he continued to make payments. He's already approximately $1,200 in arrears due to a modification last year. As far as getting a payment history, I contacted CSE 2 times to request this and we never received anything. They have an automated system which allows you to request a payment history without actually talking to someone and that's what I did. When we didn't recieve anything I called CSE just to see what the normal turnaround time was for sending them out once it's been requested. Their automated response says it will be processed in one business day. And do you know she wouldn't talk to me!! She said my hubby would have to call! I told her I just wanted to know how long it takes them to mail it out. Stupid bureaucrats!
We NEVER send payments to CPs. DH is going to make sure he gets credit for EVERY payment he makes to them. Cause we all know what happens when you don't CYA!!

KAT

Hey Jilly. Have you looked into a temporary castrophonic policy for that period? At least you guys would be covered if something horrible happened. It's usually pretty cheap, but 200 for COBRA is amazing! I paid 375 just for myself & older son 15 years ago! DH did voluntary wage garnishment when biohag took custody a few years ago (man, that pissed her off, I wonder why???Cause she'd say she wasn't getting it, that's why!) Anyhow, he simply e-mailed a copy of the order to his employer & they started garnishment right away.
Also, with CSE, don't even bother calling them. Send them certified letters (with RR) requesting a full audit of the account. They seem to respond better when there is a paper trail.
Kindest regards;
KAT