Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 03:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

question about medical bill received from CP

Started by nysoccermom, Feb 16, 2005, 09:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nysoccermom

my husband is ordered to pay for 52% of all uninsured medical bills.  Son went to the ER and was treated.  She sent us the bill from the hospital and our portion was only $20.00.  Then a few days later we got a bill from her that was from the doctor that treated him in the ER.  It was for the total amount $165.00.  On the bill it did not indicate where any insurance had been paid on this bill.  Are we supposed to take her word for it that nothing from her insurance was paid and we owe 52% of this total $165 bill.  It seems like a crock and I am sure she is trying to get away with something.  

My husband does not want to ask her why this bill was not submitted to her insurance, for fear that she will take him back to court.  You see the problem is this.  2 years ago my husband got a better job.  At the time she was entitled to more support since my husband was making more money.  My husband's son did not want his mom taking his dad back to court, so she didn't.  Instead she asked if we could help out with little bills to help out, we pay $40 a month for his lunch money, we paid for half of his school supplies and school clothes, graduation items coming up, his announcements, a class ring, senior pictures.  Are we to assume that this is one of those little bills and just pay it because that was the agreement.  I think she is taking him for a ride, as it has been for the last 18 years.  She is mad because my husband got a new truck.  She sent us a nasty note right after he got it saying from now on we are supposed to send all checks made out to her, even though before we made his lunch checks out to the school and he would just put it on his account so he could have lunch every day.  I also learned that he doesn't even go to school until after lunch.  He is only in school for 4 classes.

Do we have any recourse in paying this bill.   His court order says he pays 52% of all uninsured medical bills.

Thanks,

EyeforKids

I suggest you call the doctor's office to see if any insurance has responded against the account.  They will tell you.  Then make your decisions from there.

No I would not pay or reimburse the Mom until I was sure that everyone who is supposed to pay (like all insurance companies) have done their part.

When anyone goes to the ER, bills come from all different directions and waiting another 30 days isn't gonna hurt anyone.

KAT

I guess you have to figure out if not paying bill will piss her off enough to file for modification...then you'll get the honor of paying more every month...which will likely end up being more then $160 something.
What I would do? Pay it. HOWEVER I would request an accounting in writting from the doctors office...ask for the medical records at the same time (more concern the just money *wink*) If it turns out that the bill was covered or partially covered by insurance I'd keep the evidence & my mouth shut. Nothing like the judge hearing that she lied for financial gain during any  furture court cases. Been there, played that game.
KAT

TwoBoys

Whose medical insurance policy is the child insured under?  Im assuming its not your H's because otherwise, you would know (i think).

Call the medical facility to inquire about the bill.  He should have access to medical information and should be able to find out if the bill was filed with insurance.

If you have any problems (and i hate to suggest this but it works!) then you can call and pretend to be her inquiring about the account, ask if it has been filed wiht insurance.

Good luck :)

TwoBoys...

LAK

it sounds like the kid is graduating, so there shouldn't be any more modifications.

I'd definitely call the doctor's office and see if the insurance paid on it.

KAT

This could be NY after all where emancipation isn't until 21 or NJ which really don't have any age, I don't think I saw a state listed. We'd all like to think that it would be 18, but many states don't agree.
The poster suggests they were afraid of a review...we can only go by what they posted.
KAT

mom2boys

Update:

Against my better judgement, I paid the medical bill.  I didn't want to but DH didn't want to confront the BM about it.  THe BM is the one who carries the health insurance.  I wanted to call the dr but I figrued they would not give me any information since we were not the insured or the patient.  She has him right where she wants him and it makes me crazy.  I try not to think about it too much.  Like I said before, my DH's support should have gone up two years ago when he went to another job, but she did not want to take him back to court for everything was going well at that time.  Then in September my DH got a new truck and it pissed her off, then the letters started coming.  I just don't understand why she has to bleed him dry for every penny.  The child will be 19 in August and will graduate in June, he isn't going on to college, going to work full time.  I know the law in NY states we have to support until 21 years old but it just doesn't make sense if the boy is 19 years old, not going to school any longer, supporting himself paying his own bills, not living at home anymore, why should my DH sitll have to send support, especially since the boy is not benefitting from that support.  I know they say the mother can do whatever she wants with the support, but it really stinks.  My DH is going to call Support Collection Unit in May just befoe he graduates to see what his options are.  Another thing, if we are responsible for continuing support, does that mean DH has to still pay the % of uninsured medical bills that is stated in his support order.  What happens if the kids doesn't get insurance, are we responsible for that % of the premiums, and if he does get insurace is he still responsible for that % that is not covered.    

Thanks,