Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 06:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support Order question

Started by askray, Aug 03, 2005, 10:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

askray

I live in MA and am a single Dad of a 4 month old infant.  I've never been married and have paid child support, (by check with 'child support' written on it), faithfully.

My x now wants to get a child support order through the state and told me that she did file with the state for a child support order.  I've been told by friends that usually when a child support order is filed and a court date has been determined that visitation is automatically discussed along with the child support order.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I will be getting an attorney once I am given the summons but I'm trying to reasearch now what I can expect.

Thanks,

Ray

rainbow1

Child support and visitation are seperate matters. The only time it matters is when there is placement time. The amount of placement time time affects child support when it is 30% or more. If you don't have a stipulated agreement from mother or a court order for visitation or placement you need to file for it yourself immediately! Ask for more than you want. Specify days, times, who provides what transportation. Great samples on this site! Good luck.

rainbow1

Child support and visitation are seperate matters. The only time it matters is when there is placement time. The amount of placement time time affects child support when it is 30% or more. If you don't have a stipulated agreement from mother or a court order for visitation or placement you need to file for it yourself immediately! Ask for more than you want. Specify days, times, who provides what transportation. Great samples on this site! Good luck.

joni

Find yourself an atty who's certified in family law

//www.aaml.org/directory.htm

Good prior advice about getting your parenting plan in writing at the same time, tie up all your loose ends.  It sounds to me like someone is talking in this mom's ear and giving her ideas.

Make your parenting plan specific.  AVOID language like "liberal visitation as agreed upon by the parties" as you'll see in the future, soon, the parties don't agree and since possession is 9/10's of the law, the noncustodial parent loses out on seeing their child and you'll be back in court for friggin' ever.

Here are some sample of parenting plans for you to print off and take to the atty with you.  Go in asking for everything and get as much as you can in the beginning.  If you think you'll go to court later and try to get more time, GOOD LUCK, ain't gonna happen.  It's near impossible to get more later...that's the reason most of us are on this board.

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/pplan3.htm

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/pplan4.htm

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/pplan8.htm

Good Luck

penny

We have been through the same thing. In missouri when going through the state for child support, thats the only thing they do. Child visitation is a different court. The only right we have is to pay her the money. My husband, before he met me had a one week fling with a chick he met at the bar. She said her tubes were tied and couldn't have kids. Two months after we were dating he got a phone call and she said she was pregnant. We made the state do DNA testing. We have been paying her for 12 years. He can't wait till the child turns 18, so he can tell her to get out of his life forever. We get to see his son on every holiday, b-day, and 3 months in the summer. We buy all the stuff that he needs. He never gets anything from his mother, no b-day or Christmas. Kinda weird, he never refers to her as mom, he always calls her Kerri. If we are 5 days late on paying her money, she has a case worker calling our business. This woman has never worked, she lives off the system and child support.

KELI609

I LIVE IN OHIO AND MY EX LIVES IN PENNSYLVANIA.  WHEN WE WENT TO COURT 2 YEARS AGO THEY DISCUSSED VISITATION RIGHT AFTER THE SUPPORT WAS DETERMINED.  THEY NEVER ACTUALLY STATED THAT I HAD CUSTODY AND THERE IS NOTHING IN WRITING STATING THAT I HAVE CUSTODY.  BUT THEY DID SAY I HAD TO LET HIM SEE HER EVERY OTHER WEEKEND.  I WAS STILL LETTING MY DAUGHTER GO WITH HIM EVERY WEEKEND AND THEY SAID NOT TO.  NOT HE BARELY CALLS HER.

Stirling

Child support and parenting time (I prefer this term over visitation) are two separate issues.  From what you have posted it is my understanding that a motion was filed with the court to only address child support.  If you want to address parenting time you will have to file your own motion in order to get the court to address this issue.  I would suggest that you get your parenting time agreement to be as detailed as possible so that your Ex will mave little ability to manipulate your parenting time.

flewwellin

They typically like to hear custody cases and support cases separately.  However it will tell you when you get summoned what will be heard at that court date.