Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 11:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CS due date

Started by notthemama, Oct 03, 2005, 06:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notthemama

My soon to be hubby is divorced father of two in which he is the custodial parent as of 08/05/05.  Prior, he and ex were joint and he paid $367.00/month for child support, provided all health insurance coverage, & they split childcare cost.  Now, his exwife is ordered to pay $281.00/month for child support & split childcare cost.  This was calculated by her attorney and was sent in the final paperwork last month (signed September 7, 2005).  She is to pay directly to him.  Support is suppose to begin this month.

Soon to be hubby paid his ex the $100.00/month that was a part of the settlement of assets on Friday, 09/30/05 for the month of October.  (In the past she would call him to make sure the money was coming)

Last night, he called her to ask when she would be making the CS payment.  Like usual, she gave him unnecessary attitude and said she had bills to pay (rent) and she would pay him when she got the money.  I thought she could have been a little more concerned and have at least offered some of the money this Friday and continue to pay weekly or bi-weekly.    (She does get paid weekly!) Yet, it is hard to have a civil conversation with her.

Anyway, soon to be hubby wants to file enforcement at the local CS office, I think he should give her another chance and hopes she adopts a better attitude.  Any opinions?

ocean

If her attitude is like that then I do not see her changing. If you need to rely on that money, I would go through CSE. It takes about 2 months to get set up but then they take care of it when she defaults. They keep track of payments and in my state you can see everything on-line. It was the best thing in my case because now we never talk about money.

flewwellin

she isn't likely to adopt a better attitude.  I agree he should take it to the enforcement agency and have it withheld from her check every week.  that way she won't be able to ignore her duties as a parent.

jilly

Amazing how they change their tune when they're the ones having to pay.  If your SO couldn't pay his bills I bet she didn't care as long as she got the CS. Now the shoe is on the other foot and it's a little tight. Imagine that??

You're soon to be hubby is right.  He needs to file to have her wages garnished and get payment through CSE.

notthemama

Thanks for the input.  You are definitely right, her attitude is not likely to change.

I had him try to give her a call again and he left a message asking her to return his call so that they could at least set up a schedule if she needed it for the CS.  She never returned his call, so he did go to the CS office and turned in the application for enforcement.  They said that they will start sending her the statement in November.

notthemama

Thank you for your input.  You all said what we were feeling, but we wanted to make sure he was being fair about it all. :)

notthemama

You are right, she didn't care as long as she got her money.  

In fact, when it even came to the settlement money he has been paying her, she would call the first of the money to see if he had her money.  There were plenty of times when he didn't so I would write a check to cover it for him, so that he didn't have that hanging over his head!

Thanks for the input!

MixedBag

Due 30 days after the signing of the order.

It's late when that next 30 days is over (Nov 7th).

If by then she doesn't fess up, file with DHR and ask for the back support too.

DHR here won't do anything until CS is 30 days late, that's why I say or advise to wait 30 days to see if she'll truly be behind.

notthemama

We did find out from the CS office that it was due 30 days after the order was signed (therefore October 7) however, we didn't think that she would have it on the 7th ... and wanted to give her at least a chance to set another date with us (like the 14th or 21th of the month) or if she need to make smaller payments throughout the month.  We know she isn't "behind" because it's still October 6th.

The reason we did go ahead and ask for them to monitor because she isn't very cooperative and doesn't try to work on or discuss these matters.  Also she does have a habit of being late paying bills (collectors still call my soon-to-be-hubby's home asking for her); and she is currently more than $400.00 behind in the children's childcare debt.  We constantly worry if she will get so far behind the kids will no longer be able to attend afterschool.  Anyway.

Thank you for your advice.