Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 03:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

HOW TO GET CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT SWITCHED

Started by got_no_rights_man, May 07, 2006, 07:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

got_no_rights_man

Okay here's another question I am pondering. Now yers ago I lived in Mass. and my ex got cse involved, she lived in CT at the time.  So everything was going well. When I moved to Rhode Island, she took me to CT court. CT court raised it and Mass collected it by raising the  garnishment.
Now I have lived in Maine for over a year and made it my legal residence. The ex jetted off to California with the kids and has been there for less than 6 monthes. Can I get Maine Child Support Enforcement take over my case from Mass. So I can goto Court near my home?.

4honor

A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

leon clugston

yes you can, and I would do it before she gets California involved.The primary place of residence of the parties, or the moving party in this case, will be the overall designation of the office handling the case, but be advised California might still take over, being her place of abode, but untill then it would better for you to move it into youre state.

MixedBag

O.K., just got done reading this too.

I'm gonna say, the answer is no.  For 6 months after her move, jurisdiction remains with the previous state.

Jurisdiction follows the children once both parties leave the state.

And I'd file a motion to change the parenting plan if you don't already have stuff set in place for a long distance situation.....and file that in Mass -- make her come back and address it.

CA can't do anything (or rather shouldn't) until she's been there for 6  months.