Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 10:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quick question

Started by Ref, Apr 11, 2007, 11:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

DH's child support order states:

"In the event the child attains the age of 18 before the child's graduation from highschool, the child support payments shall continue until the child attains the age of 19 years or graduates from high school, provided that the child is enrolled as a full-time student in good standing in high school"

SD is failing out of school in her sophmore year. She will likely have to repeat a grade. One of her trashy friends decided she wanted to graduate early by droppping out and getting her GED. Now SD wants to do that.

I guess the question is, what does "good standing" mean? She is currently getting mostly F's and not attending school regularly.

I understand that DH will likely have to keep paying support until she is 18 if she drops out of school. Chances are she will have to live with her mom. I was just wondering if she is 18 and a senior but missing enough school to be truant or getting all F's, at what point can he stop paying?

Ref

Jade

>DH's child support order states:
>
>"In the event the child attains the age of 18 before the
>child's graduation from highschool, the child support payments
>shall continue until the child attains the age of 19 years or
>graduates from high school, provided that the child is
>enrolled as a full-time student in good standing in high
>school"
>
>SD is failing out of school in her sophmore year. She will
>likely have to repeat a grade. One of her trashy friends
>decided she wanted to graduate early by droppping out and
>getting her GED. Now SD wants to do that.
>
>I guess the question is, what does "good standing" mean? She
>is currently getting mostly F's and not attending school
>regularly.
>
>I understand that DH will likely have to keep paying support
>until she is 18 if she drops out of school. Chances are she
>will have to live with her mom. I was just wondering if she is
>18 and a senior but missing enough school to be truant or
>getting all F's, at what point can he stop paying?
>
>Ref

Unless they changed the rules since I took the GED, your SD (and her friend) aren't going to be able to take the GED until their class has actually completed high school.   Which means they don't graduate early.  

At what point can he stop paying?  If she drops out of school and is 18 years old, he can go to court to have the payments stopped.  Then it is up to the judge.

Ref

I guess the question part was, what constitutes a student being in "good standing"? I think I might need to see what her school defines that as.

I am not sure what is going on in Florida with their school systems. Apparently, SD can go to "adult high school" which is basically a prep class for the GED. It seems that they allow them to do this in order to lower their drop out rate.

All of this is new. She was a great student up until she started hanging out with this group of friends. Too bad BM has PASed SD so bad we have no contact with her anymore. The newest event happened last week when BM changed SD cell phone number again.

Anyway, thanks for the help Jade.

Ref