Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 19, 2024, 02:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FL CS - What to do??

Started by RN069, Jul 25, 2008, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RN069

Hi, from FL.

My daughter's bf was ordered to pay $780/mo. for child support in addition to retro-active support. Since, he has been found to be mentally incompetent and started recieving SSI - switched to SSDI recently. It may or may not be of use to note that my daughter was appionted as his guardian. In any event, his SSDI benefits will pay a portion of his child support, but not the full amount the court ordered.

Obviously, there is a fear that he can be thrown in jail over the unpaid balance that SSDI does not cover.  

1) Under the circumstances, will the unpaid money keep adding to what he owes....and is there any hope in getting his support payments reduced?

2) If so, what does one need to do to accomplish this?

3) Will the Social Security office or Child Support office handle this for them?

Please respond. Thanks.

ocean

The mother can collect the SSDI for the kids but that is not child support. The child support would come out of his SSDI's check before he gets it (if everything is going through the child support office). Here they can take up to 65% of his check for child support.

Child support handles everything...they will send a letter to SS to take out the money.

RN069

Thank you for writing, but would you be kind enough to explain it to me because I'm confused. you said "......the mother can collect SSDI for the kids but that is not child support. (the not part confused me)....also, the child support office is involved.  

This is so confusing...the Social Sercurity told them that each child, (he has two) will get, I think 230.00 each. Are you saying that the 230 per child is not considered child support, but instead, they will take up to 65% from his check for his child support obligation, in addition to the checks his kids will get?

Please write back if you can. Thanks, Ocean.

superdad01

Since, he has been found to be mentally incompetent

No offense here but I don't understand how someone in this situation is incompetant yet knows how to make kids. 2 of them. Somebody's not doing their job.