Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 07, 2024, 05:49:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thoughts on overnight without an adult

Started by CA DAD needs help, Oct 17, 2006, 01:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CA DAD needs help

What age should a child be left alone overnighht that is reasonable? We have a 13, 16 and 17, (18 in 40 days) and left them overnight with literally 8 close neighbors and 2 neighbors right next store that are like family, gated patroled area...responsible kids. One night , we were always available by phone. Is this not appropriate? I know not ideal but a very rare occasion.

ocean

Legally it depends on the state. You can call your local police station to see what the laws are. Here, there is NO law about age, it is up to the parent. All 3 of them are old enough to babysit according to the Red Cross so really I think you are safe.

mistoffolees

For what it's worth, it doesn't seem terribly unreasonable unless you have reason to believe that one or more of the kids are trouble (on drugs, in a gang, whatever). Of course, what's reasonable to me may not be what's legally acceptable. And I would try to avoid it. If they're so close, couldn't one of the neighbors have spent the night there?

sdbleve

Hello,

I work in a call center for Muni PD and we get asked this question all the time. In our jurisdiction, there is no age, that a child can be left alone. It is up to the parent to decide when the children are "mature" enough to handle this responsibility. Some kids show this at an earlier age, some are not responsible enough to leave alone when they are 25 :)

The bottom line is, the parent needs to make the decision...if something happens later and the decision is shown to have been inappropriate, then the parents are charged with child endangerment!  Maybe not the greatest system, but one that holds all involved accountable.

I am looking at the ages of the chidren listed.  One is 40 days shy of being legally an adult? Why is this even a question? If the 17 yr old is not responsible enough to be in the house alone with/and taking care of their siblings, then somebody has not done a good job at raising the children!

Just my 2cents.  Good luck.