Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 20, 2024, 05:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Newcomer in the midst of a divorce

Started by Isser, Jun 04, 2007, 11:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isser

Hi, I'm new to this site. I'm a married male in my forties, with one child, in the midst of a divorce. My wife, who's (wealthy) parents are footing her legal bills, is bent on burying me financially.

I'm currently supporting three families: a) ex-wife and daughter from first marriage; b) myself and my teenage son, from my first marriage; and c) my wife and daughter from my second marriage.

Wife is currently not working and the court has thus far ordered me to pay, in addition to child support, all the utilities on the marital home and the minimum balance on the home equity line.

I'm already over $40,000 in debt (plus half the balance on the home equity line, which is around $128,000), and the end of this case is nowhere in sight.
I've made two generous settlement offers which have both been rejected out of hand, without so much a counter offer.

Any suggestions on how to move things along? I'm considering pro se (self-representation) as an option to keep from going further into debt.

Thanks for listening.

Isser

mistoffolees

You're going to need to file for temporary remedy (and permanent, as well). Don't delay - since you have nothing to gain by waiting. Depending on the rest of your situation, you can ask for the house to be sold immediately so you can pay your bills.

I strongly discourage pro se filings since too many things can go wrong.

It's going to be a tough battle. As you've pointed out, her wealthy parents can spend as much as they want, but that won't help you when it comes to settlement - you will have to base the settlement on your wife's assets and needs.

While it doesn't help you, your post is an excellent reminder to EVERYONE that debt is a terrible thing when you don't need it. $40 K in personal debt and $128 K in home equity line is something that too many people get into, but there are almost no circumstances when you SHOULD.