Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 20, 2024, 05:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

kinda stuck

Started by mike1390, Apr 17, 2008, 05:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1390

Alright i am having a child with my x wife and he is due sometime in June. I know this really sounds like i suck but our situation was difficult. Either way i am in the army and single so pushing for custody of my son is no in the cards. She is looking for money now and im just wondering is there anything that i can do to make sure i keep the ability to get custody of my son when i have the lifestyle ability...any help will be helpful...

wendl

You are no obligated to help her financially now. That would be totally up to you.

As for custody later down the road, it is HARD as hell to have custody switched once it has been established, so think hard about it.  

Usually change is custody has to be for some significant reason, neglect, abuse etc)  Has little to do with financial reason.  The majority of the time the custody is awarded to the mother, (sucks but it is the truth, I am a custodial mom and stepmom whos husband does not have custody).

Good luck,

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

superdad01

Well I know they recently passed a bill that says that people on active duty or serving in military out of the country do not have it held against them when going through divorce and custody deals.  You would have to do your research for the exact bill and all the issues with it. I know they passed something like that.

mike1390

Well thanks for your help i didnt know about that bill which is helpful because i will be over seas soon enough

MixedBag

and make sure you and your attorney are very versed on the SSCRA.

I mean VERY versed.

And go to your finance office and ask about the different kinds of "dependent rate BAQ" and what the rules and stuff are for each one of them.

You should qualify to change your pay to draw at least one of them IF you get an order that has child support for the child.

AND you can add them as a dependent and get their medical expenses covered 100% under tri-care.

(Retired military here).