Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 02:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

court appointed lawyer

Started by rtwins, Jan 23, 2004, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtwins

Has anyone experienced a court appointed attorney? I became eligible for one and I was wondering how much good they really do.

I cry_ in_the_dark

Is this a court appointed lawyer for family issues?

rtwins

Yes, child support issues. Instead of pleading to a contempt charge for non payment, my husband chose his option of receiving a court appointed lawyer.

He has several facts to prove as to why he should not be held in contempt, but the prosecutor said she could not respond to all of them, just the arrearages.

Had it been a simple case of yes or no contempt, he would have represented himself but this is too complicated.

I posted with Soc and he said that most attorneys will just get you to plead, but he could have done that on his own. He has documents and prove that will show he is not in contempt. Will the attorney plead his case and how well?

Wronggender

You will hear platitudes as to that this is their way of "giving back to the system" but experence has shown that because thay are not really getting "paid" that "due diligence" does not exist.  An example.  InSupreme Court there exists a 50+ page forensic evaluation of my entire family.  It was responsible for my getting custody.  In Family Court, it was ignored because my "court appointed lawyer" would not spend the time to go and get it.  He told me to get it but as it was for the "Courts eyes only" I am denied access to it.  It never made it to court.  You must demand and insist that he/she exercise "due diligence" and if he does not, you must bring it to the Judges attention and even go as far as to demand a new lawyer.-----Of the wrong gender for custody!

wendl

Well my ex had a court appointed atty for non payment of cs, and he got screwed, the prosecutor was going to settle with 500 a month total for current and arrears however his court appointed atty did nothing and he was ordered to pay over $600 hahah not like I ever see it he just chooses not to work.

SO basically with the experience my ex had they are useless, hell why fight the fight if your not getting paid????

Good luck.