Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 08:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Could Pressure Of Custody Trial Cause Child To Cut Hair?

Started by NJDad, May 11, 2004, 02:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJDad

Hi Guys,

My Ex called me to say thay our 7 year-old son cut his own hair in Art class as school to the point where he needs a buzz cut. As she was telling me this, she was laughing histerically - thinking it was funny. She said that the school nurse told her only one other child ever did this before.

We are going to court on Monday for our Custody Trial, where I am seeking Residential Custody of the children due to abuses and false charges. She has been emphasizing the children to make false statements against me, which were proven. The DYFS (CPS) case worker even stated that she cannot be believed. We are classified as having one of the worst divorces in recent years due to the Ex's BPD.

I can't understand why my Ex was laughing over the phone so hard. She generally does this when she is trying to get me into trouble. This to me, seems like a mild case of self-mutilation.

Is this a normal behavior for children of divorcing parents?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

W

Peanutsdad

ROFL!!!

At some time or another,, most kids try to cut either their own hair,, or their siblings hair.

It's just normal behavior for kids to do dumb things ;)

And actually, it IS funny,, I remember when my oldest did the same thing,, younger of course,, but still,, boy did he look like a half plucked chicken hehehehe.

lucky

I agree with PD.  Me and dh's son cut his hair about three times -- he's now 10 yo and the last time he did it was only a couple years ago.  Dh and I are married to each other -- no custody or divorce issues when ds cut his hair.

We keep it short now, lol.   :)
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

kiddosmom

UUUGGG!

Imagine an absolutly BEAUTIFUL long haired calico cat..... now imagine a 2 yo with sissors that she found.......

Poor kitty!!!

Kitty C.

To be honest with you, this could go either way.  PD is right in that this could be a very innocent incident.  DS came homw one day when he was 5 and told me a neighbor girl had given him a haircut.  Boy, did she!  It was hilarious!  Her dad paid me to get DS's hair cut again, but given the 'severity' of the situation, all that could be done was a VERY short buzz!  That's the funny side.

Then there's the 'other' side.  There is a mental disorder called trichotillomania.  Here's a link to info on it:

http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/92.cfm

Trich is the act of hair pulling, something I did as a kid.  At times it got so bad, I had huge bald spots on my head.  It's an obssesive-compulsive disorder.  What struck me with the web link above is that it is associated with other impulse control disorders like pyromania.  DS is ADHD and one other trait he has shown in the past is pyromania.

I am NOT saying that this is what's going on, since he cut his hair instead of pulling it out.  What I do think (and this is strictly my opinion only) is that there is a possibility that the strain of the divorce could be affecting him and that I think he should be watched very carefully for other behaviors as well.  I wouldn't make a big deal about it right now, but I WOULD document it and keep a close eye on the situation as much as possible.

As for the reaction of your ex, that can only be attributed either to whatever mental illness she's been diagnosed with or her total lack of caring and concern for her child and self-absorption with herself.  
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

SallyandJack

NEW JERSEY DAD -

Will you give us an update on your case?  you have your email on here disabled.

Our case is in NJ too - would love to chat via email.