Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 03:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Our Ferpa situation...

Started by dipper, Sep 12, 2005, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

SS' school was very good about sharing information with dh.  Then ss got kicked out and sent to an alternative school.  Well, they seemed obliging at first....until ss was hurt and out for a month.  Then they were working closer with bm involving homebound.  From that time on, they ignored dh's requests.  He wasnt invited to ss' IEP meeting.  DH didnt even know about it until afterward.  

They had sent a letter here signed by three officials with false information.  DH requested a correction and they ignored that.  So, after the IEP, dh requested a copy of that, his last report card, and the corrected letter....nothing.

So, dh filed a FERPA complaint and it was delivered certified about three weeks ago and we havent heard anything.

And now, the school ss was at before being kicked out......they held a behavioral intervention meeting and didnt notify dh.  They had notified bm in July...and the meeting was held on August 30....dh didnt know until Sept. 6 when she handed him a copy of it.

The casemanager said he forgot dh.  BM has been talking alot to this teacher through emails this summer after ss was hurt....

Any suggestions anyone?

Imom

Your going to have to break down and file a motion against the school.

ocean

What kind of legal custody do you have? I know we can run CSE's (IEP meeting) with one parent to be legal. Then they would have to give you a copy by law. I will ask at work tomorrow...

dipper

We sent in a formal complaint against the alternative school ss was at in the spring.  It has been about four weeks since they received the complaint at DC and no response from them.  Ss is back in the regular school now.

The casemanager that did not invite dh to the BIP meeting apologized by email and has again said that he would be glad to call a special meeting just for dh.  Of course, everyone else was in the first meeting.  Thing that still bothers me - how could he forget dh?  DH was in other meetings and he and dh emailed on a regular basis prior to ss being kicked out there.  Yet, this time around all he could remember to invite was bm......and he had been talking with her all summer.

dipper

Joint legal custody with her as primary phsyical.  DH had sent a formal request letter last year regarding his right to information. They were great about it....then ss was kicked out.  The alternative school didnt invite dh to the IEP meeting - though he had made the same requests of them.  Then when the regular school held a meeting, they didnt invite him either...................bm has been talking with the casemanager all summer....telling ss that he was just dying to see him, etc.....Then when ss would go home, he never heard from him.  She had even been explaining to oss how she and Mr. Casemanager were thinking about ss not dressing out for PE because of his burn scars....So, instead of discussing anything with dh, she was playing like MR. Casemanager was the father and they could make decisions.

ocean

Joint legal....then I would send a certified letter that you have joint legal and must be aware in writing of any meetings and that you do not agree to any further changes. If you want a meeting now, you can request one in writing and they MUST have one within 30 school days (at least here but I think that might be a federal law).