Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 01:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it possible to force teen back into school?

Started by nemesis68, Jun 09, 2009, 06:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocean

Thinking along those lines...daughter lives in house still not supporting herself but he could argue that she is not in school, has child , will be receiving her own child support from father of baby probably.
NY is tough state..we pay to 21 but like Giggles said, a motivator for mother to encourage child to go to school or dad want give us money. At least she will get her degree.

Droogle

Ocean there is one other issue with teen mothers in NY.  I have found out that under our new laws while we may not be responsible to support the child through the divorce/ CS the state can/will come after a parent if the child and grandchild receive any type of state support like welfare or insurance.  Not sure if this only happens when the father is not named or all the time.  I have heard horrow stories about the partents fighting the state over this.  Not only all of this but we are responsible until 21 but have no recourse once they are 16.  Not sure how that makes sense but in NY is seems to. 

Nemesis the only other thing I can think to suggest is to call CPS and see what they say.  Our school district only allows so many excused absences before the state is involved.  Parents can be brought up on educational neglect charges even with excused absences unless there is a doctor involved for extended time.  If your daughter isn't going to school, isn't working, or looking for work I would contact the courts and see if you can stop support.  Might make BM take notice and get her to do something iwth your daughter.  Just an idea though. 

Thankfully my SD is 15 and has no desire to be a mother now or in the near future.  Might help that her BM and aunts were all mothers by the time they were 16, have lousy lives, no real jobs, and can't keep a place to live.  No better lesson then life. 

Good luck to you.
I've lost my mind.  I think my kids have it.

nemesis68

DROOGLE, CPS is a no go. She is 16 now and has the right to drop out if that is her choice. Even were she not, as stated in one of my earlier posts, she had missed many days during course of school year prior to her pregnancy. Found out that there is a little known law on the books that states a child has to "only" attend school one day out of every 28 to avoid prosecution. Again, as long as custodial parent doesn't seek assistance with that child, my hands are tied. Even sicker still is that for that one day, a child merely has to report to school yet never attend any classes and the cycle starts over again. This is state regulations that determines how the school districts receive their funding based on number of attending children in school.

Tried several times to have emergency Academic Intervention program started for her but as I was the only person who attended any of these meetings. nothing was/could be done. This program included counselors, psychologists and workers from the CPS who were aware of the situation but yet no one intervened beyond looking at me. I attended these meetings and even signed my child up but can't force her to attend.

I doubt if she will get much if any support from the BF of her child as from what i'm told, my daughters BM has not allowed him to see the baby nor does he work to the best of my knowledge. Have no grounds with which to threaten to stop support, nor is that ever easy here in NY. I had 3 modification cases thrown out because the referee didn't think my petition was worded correctly. I have no desire to return to court any more, too much bs, i'd rather just pay the money and do what I can to make sure my children have a fighting chance at a decent life.