Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 10:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MND article on debate between Sacks and D&G designer.....

Started by Kitty C., Feb 26, 2004, 07:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

Sacks, 'Boys are Stupid' Designer Mix it up on CNBC

February 25, 2004

By Pat Cangelosi

There was no love lost between a crusading radio talk show host and the businessman who is the target of the boycott he organized as the two debated on CNBC's "Bullseye" yesterday.

Todd Goldman, the designer of the controversial "Boys are Stupid--Throw Rocks at Them" products, defended his work as harmless humor. Glenn Sacks, a men's and fathers' issues columnist and radio talk show host, criticized the products as being part of a male bashing culture which ignores boys' educational struggles.

The battle between them has been covered by hundreds of television and radio stations, and over 300 publications in half a dozen countries, including TIME Magazine, Forbes, the Washington Post, and the U.K. Guardian.

Goldman says the publicity for his products is unprecedented and has helped sales. Men's activists say Sacks' campaign, which began in mid-December, has probably generated more publicity than the men's movement has ever received over one issue.

CNBC host Dylan Ratigan clearly sided with the Florida businessman, whose company, David & Goliath, has seen its best-selling products knocked out of over 90% of their retail outlets in less than two months. Ratigan opened the show by displaying pictures of  "Boys are Stupid--Throw Rocks at Them" shirts and asked Sacks "what's the issue? They're having a good time here."

Sacks  countered Ratigan, noting "yes, it's humor, but it's adult humor being played out on little boys. Twelve year-old boys don't get the humor, but they feel the insult." Sacks, a former high school teacher, tied his campaign to what he called the "boy crisis in education," noting "our boys have fallen way behind in school all levels K-12--to go to school and see shirts that say 'Boys are Stupid' rubs salt in the wound."

When Goldman  was asked if he had an "obligation to consider the impact" of the products on young boys, he answered "no" and claimed that he does not sell to kids but "we sell 16, 17, 18 year-olds, you know, college students." Sacks said that Goldman has been quoted in newspapers as saying that the "Boys are Stupid" products are his "top selling junior line."

Goldman says his company sells many "positive shirts, including ones with the slogans 'It's all about me' and 'Chicks Rule!'"

Goldman boasted of the publicity he has received because of the campaign and claimed his sales are way up. The host asked Sacks if he believed his campaign has backfired, since it has given his target so much attention. Sacks noted that publicity for the target of a campaign is a necessary byproduct of any consumer boycott, and said "we've knocked 'Boys are Stupid' products out of 3,500 stores--that has to have an effect."

Goldman, less accustomed to the media spotlight than his debate opponent, fidgeted and swung his arms continually during the live interview, and clumsily claimed that the "Boys are Stupid" products have lost only  "5%" of their retail outlets. When questioned by the incredulous host Goldman mentioned a few of the chains which have pulled the products and noted "yes I guess it has been over 3,000." The host replied "Todd, that's an awful lot of retail stores."

Sacks told Goldman "I can't even find the 'Boys are Stupid' products anywhere. I can't continue the campaign because we can't even find anyone who still has the stuff."

The host ended the show by telling Goldman "congratulations on the success of your business."

Earlier in the week nationally syndicated radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh defended the campaign, criticizing San Francisco Chronicle feminist columnist Jane Ganahl for her attack on Sacks and his supporters in her recent column Will you please shut up and get a life, already?  Limbaugh noted:

"Can you imagine if a company put out a line of T-shirts that said, 'Black people are goobers, drop anvils on their heads' or 'Homosexuals are stupid, throw rocks at them'? And can you imagine the San Francisco Chronicle doing a story on how cute these T-shirts are?...Turn it around and imagine shirts suggesting the following: 'Girls lie and will break your heart. Throw rocks at them' or 'Little girls are not soft and cuddly, they are mean and vicious and will destroy you.' Can you imagine a newspaper doing a cute little headline and story on how wonderfully cute little boy fashion has become? I doubt it."

Sacks, who explained the motives behind his campaign in his opinion column Why I Launched the Campaign Against 'Boys are Stupid' Products in the Los Angeles Daily News, told his audience Sunday that Ganahl is "clueless about the issues which affect half the population--males."

~~~~~~~~~~~

As lame as Goldman came across, I'm surprised the host was even willing to side with him......  Talk about burying yourself!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

StPaulieGirl

Goldman says his company sells many "positive shirts, including ones with the slogans 'It's all about me' and 'Chicks Rule!'"

[p]He calls that positive?  How about "Chicks are great...deep fried with a side of coleslaw"?  Think he'd make up a few of those hats and shirts to corner the cannibal market?  This guy is a maroon.

[p]It's all about money.  When Todd Goldman sees how much money Mel Gibson's movie will earn, he'll jump on that opportunity, without even blushing.