Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 01:57:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another loss for the Fathers Team

Started by rdgeiger, Nov 10, 2009, 02:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdgeiger

I just got papers from the court saying I owe child support on my 2 youngest boys that have been in my possession until the start of this school year.  We went to court 2 months ago and agreed, and signed an order that has now been changed without my knowledge or consent.  She was in prison for almost 2 years and I took care of my kids.  When she got out...I never saw 1 penny from her and now she got the kids?  What is wrong with this legal system????  I am so confused and just beat down that I am not sure where to turn for help.  I am tired of being turned down at every turn........just not sure anymore

MixedBag

so while she ws in prison, did you legally get custody of the children?

rdgeiger

No...I was not allowed to get custody of them...I was told I can only have possession of them.

ocean

I am a little confused. When she got out of jail, you gave her back the kids, and now she wants to collect child support from you but they are saying you owe from when you had kids?

File for modification based on you had physical custody for the period of XX to XX. That father agrees that the current amount for child support should be XXX however the arrears needs to be readjusted to reflect the time father was providing for care while mother was in jail.

If this just went to court and you were not there, you could also file for an appeal. A modification will probably be easier...

You can file yourself at the family court house. Type up a little blurb like above with all your court papers/divorce papers. They will then give you papers to have her served and a court date. Here is it free (some states there is a small charge) and you get a date in 3-4 weeks....maybe a little longer with holidays coming up...

MrCustodyCoach

Just when I believe I won't hear another story that will defy explanation and surprise me...

Need more details, chief.  There has to be a lot more to the story than you're providing.  Who "told you" you couldn't have custody and could "only have possession" of the children?

Who are you listening to who gave you such horrible advice that it has now taken you several years and a hot mess to discover?
Mr. Custody Coach - Win Child Custody "Better Prepared, Better Outcome"

*The opinions in this post are solely my own and do not represent the only way to address any particular issue.