Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jul 18, 2024, 04:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child support issues and other - advise

Started by osmosis, Mar 13, 2011, 09:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


Need some advise, please? I have been divorced for over 6years. I am the primary custodian, of 2 children as my x moved halfway acrossthe county during the custody trial. He has the standard visitation schedulesummer, every other holiday ect. Since he left he has not held a job and hasbeen supported by his new wife. She has been paying child support for ourchildren they also have a child together. Recently he got into a car accident and that has caused him to becomedisabled, to what degree I do know but it is a serious neck injury. <o:p></o:p>
Child support has stopped, he has now told me he will befiling for not only a lower amount of child support but he wants custody nowbecause he might not be able to function well in the future and he wants tospend more time with our children.<o:p></o:p>
Our children are in a stable home, doing well in school nochange since the original order was issued. With the only exception of I havegone back to school so my income has been reduced.<o:p></o:p>
Is there a chance he maybe able to change the custody arrangementbecause of his health? Also, what is likely to happen in regards to childsupport? If he can get a doctor to sign off on him not being able to work, eventhough he has not held a job in 5 years and, do I lose child support? Childsupport is currently 495. For our two children, by the state that gave theorders it is low because it was calculated on him only finding a min wage job.Not sure how it ended up that way but just wanted everything to be over.<o:p></o:p>
I do feel sorry for him and his situation but I do not thinkwhat he wants is fair to our children.<o:p></o:p>
Any advise?<o:p></o:p>


I wouldn't think his health would be a reason a judge would grant him custody or even more than he has now. What type of disability is he going to get? My son drew a check under his father but he was on disability. I'm not sure if SSI does that. Maybe the children will be eligible for that.