Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 06:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Contempt/perjury

Started by footballdad, Apr 03, 2011, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

footballdad

Is perjury (lying on the witness stand) also considered to be contempt? 

Scenario:  pro se litigant has obtained documentation proving that other party lied in their testimony at a hearing.  Case is still open and active.  Is the course of action to file a motion for rule to show cause? Or is there a different motion for perjury?

MixedBag

1.  I'd recommend doing a search at this site on the word perjury and see what's been said before.  I doubt that it warrants an extra or separate charge in family court......but that doesn't mean that what you have in your hands isn't important.

2.  As for what to do....if you have an attorney, ask.

Otherwise, again that's hard to say because even though you say you have an "open case" -- what's really going on and how would the lie that was told fit into the bigger picture?

Haven't followed your details.....so I think it's a hard question to answer -- and I'm not an attorney either, just a mom.

I can prove tons and tons of things but what is important is what a court will think what's important.   The rest are cards that I simply keep close and the other side simply doesn't need to know details, even though I can prove he lied.

ocean

Is the trial part over or can you bring a witness to testify on your new findings? Have yourself recalled to the stand? Do you have a law guardian that you can give this information too?

Like Mixedbad said, way your options and use it when you can.

grammy2

Perjury is a much more serious crime, but not as commonly prosecuted.  Perhaps you can use the false statements as evidence for contempt...if it's important to you and it's a serious enough situation, go for it!