Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 07, 2024, 04:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oregon Child Support Modification

Started by pdxfather503, Mar 19, 2012, 11:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxfather503

I have a question for the board. I just received an order for a modification for support. I have one child 18 and attending school while the other child is 19 and attending school, living with boyfriend, and who also happens to be pregnant with child. I was wondering will the non custodial parent still have to pay for the 19 year old? I would assume that the pregnancy would serve as an immediate emancipation due to my future grandchild being supported by his/her new father. This news has hit me like a ton of bricks all while receiving a modification order to increase my support.

Thanks in advance for your responses to this unexpected situation. 

Simplydad

I am not sure what Oregon's actual law is but I do believe that in just about any state in order for child support to be increased there will have to be a change in circumstance.  Your daughter becoming pregnant IMO does not qualify under that department.

Is there anything else that would have caused a bump in support?  Income increases or maybe your ex lost her job?   It really does sound really weird that you would be required to pay additional support for an adult to have a child.

Can you request a hearing on this matter?

tigger

Actually, if she's not living with the other parent, she should be removed from the child support order as being emancipated.  She's living outside the home with her boyfriend. 
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

pdxfather503

I had a bump in income when I started a new job. The custodial parent has applied for public assistance as I'm being told. I have already filed a petition for the hearing. My child has since moved back into the home with my ex and is attending school. This is a strange situation. Thanks again for all of the direction.