Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 11:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Visitation and Moving

Started by momofthreeboys, Jan 23, 2007, 10:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momofthreeboys

I have a question. We have sole legal and physical custody of our boys. The BM had only supervised visitation on weekends for time and place we wanted it at. Well right literally after we got full custody of the boys she moved out of state from va to fl. Did that make our agreement for visitation null?? Since she moved?She has not had much contact with them since she moved in march, a few letters and two packages is all within 10months. I have heard now that she is back in va, she has not contacted us personally, but if she wants to see the kids do we have to let her?Our boys have finally gotten their life together and made some peace and alot of progress. She is the one that moved and left them and did not remain in contact. I still sent her emails letting her know how they were and pics. A little background info, our boys were taken from her by ss and placed into foster care until we faught to get them(3yrs of battling and proving ourselves)She walked away with just strict visitation and a protective order statting not to come near the kids at our home or school and while supervised visits, no abuse. Can she make trouble for us even if she is just visiting up here? What if she moves back? Does our agreement become full again?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. God Bless

mistoffolees

You have to abide by the agreement. The fact that she didn't exercise her rights (whether she lived next door or 10,000 miles away is irrelevant) doesn't change that and it would not be correct to claim that the order ended when she moved away.  When she asks for visitation, you have to honor the terms in the agreement.

Now, it's possible that you could terminate her parental rights, but the standards for that are extremely high and it would be expensive and difficult to achieve. The fact that she has only supervised visitation is probably the best that you could hope to achieve.

My advice would be to give her what the agreement allows when she asks for it, but make sure that you have a good supervisor. And be thankful that you have the kids 99.9% of the time.