Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 10:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

IOWA'S CHILDREN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Kitty C., May 19, 2004, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

We did it!  We have made a difference in thousands of kids' lives!!!!!!!  This afternoon Gov. Vilsack signed into law a NEW joint custody bill that requires ANY parent who asks for JC to be considered and, that if that is the case, the OTHER parent would have to PROVE otherwise for it NOT to be allowed!

It would have never happened without the help of all of you who took the time to write, e-mail, and call the governor.  From what I have heard from his office, he was DELUGED with comments and information!  He also did his homework and I am told he consulted with various child psych. professionals across the nation as well.  He also heard from the pres. of the Iowa Bar, who vehemently urged him to veto it.  So he knows that he will be making an enemy of the state's attys.  This is a VERY brave action he's taken.

Pat yourselves on the back, cuz you guys did a FANTASTIC job!  If I could kiss you all, I would, but I can't, so you'll have to settle for this:

:* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :*

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Hawkeye

:D :D HOOORAY!! OH HAPPY DAY!!  :D :D

For once, I can't WAIT to get back to court! LOL

antonin

I am glad for you. Do you happen to know what the standard of proof is? ("preponderance of evidence" or "clear and convincing?"
Again..great work.

Stepmom0418

As I already have said, finally someone has the best interest of all of our children in mind when making a decision! Being from Iowa I too need to thank everyone for their hard work, letters, phone calls, and emails to the governors office. Everyone take Kittys advice and pat yourself's on the back. I do want to say that this isnt over yet there are still alot of things that need to happen to make the courts fair to everyone BUT This is the first step to the Many changes to come!!  

Hawkeye

Here's what the bill states...

If the court denies the request for joint  physical care, the determination shall be accompanied by specific findings of fact and conclusions of law that the awarding of joint physical care is not in the best interest of the child.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=Billbook&hbill=HF22

You might have to register to bring up this webpage of the entire bill.

tjraid18

I am soooo glad to hear the news!!!! There are no words...
Congratulations to all who helped make it happen!!! Yesssss!!! A BIG
WOOOO------HOOOO to the children of Iowa and to the governor!!!
Maybe other states will follow example. That is so GREAT!!!

MYSONSDAD

Just goes to show what people can do when they work together with a common goal. Many took time to help make this a reality. I find it so refreshing that the Governor spent time to research this on his own. It says volumes for his charactor. A true leader.

I am taking a few minutes to write and thank him for his attention with this. And showing the courage to take a giagantic first step. I can only imagine what pressures he faced from oppossing interest groups.

We should all use this example and follow thru, one State at a time. Put heads together and make some real changes. It is long overdue.

Congrats Iowa!!!!!!  Hope this is contagious.....

Hawkeye

I'm right with ya... Thomas J. Vilsack deserves a standing ovation!!!!  And thensome!!!  Iowa's children have lots more to look forward to now!!!  

This is just some awesome news and I, for one, am so happy to be on the very edge of this...  THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

lissa68

Melissa(lissa68)

A Huge Win For Iowa's Children, and their fathers fighting for them..

Way to Go Vilisak we needed this.

Way to Iowans and all those out of state that supported it.

One big step in a small state in the USA,  lets keep it going everywhere else.

Yeah!!!!

Tony and Melissa