Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 05:56:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SELF-REPRESENTATION to terminate CHILD SUPPORT

Started by kgcb, Mar 29, 2006, 02:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgcb

I am in Indiana. What obstacles do I need to be aware of, If I go through the process of SELF-REPRESENTATION to terminate CHILD SUPPORT?

MixedBag

depends on the state...some state can require that CS continue through college, most don't.

You gotta learn what your state says about this subject and I know I found it on line before when I was looking for my states but that's been a few years go.

THEN go back and take a look at your questions.

If you're obligated.....then you'll take one path.

If you're not obligated, then you'll make a totally different choice.

oklahoma

Also, in some states where CS continues through college, there are additional requirements (i.e., child must maintain a certain GPA and provide proof of enrollment and GPA to CSD and/or paying parent.)  I believe CS can also then be paid directly to the college student rather than custodial parent.

4honor

that CS ends upon a specific event with no further order of the court, and that event has occurred (like child's 19th birthday for example). Then teh order is in effect until you have the child emancipated.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

MixedBag

the order can say all that, BUT the child may file for "majority" support which is what gets done to support them through college.  It doesn't even have to be part of the original decree.

Yep, the CHILD has to ask for it before they turn 19.

We've got 4 children so far that emancipated under this state's laws and two NCPs who should be thankful that we didn't tell our girls to go after them for support through college.

Mainly because we don't agree with it.

And yep, I say "we" in this post because DH has 2 daughters and I have 2 daughter -- and we were each custodial when they emancipated.

MixedBag

courts can require college support in NC and SC.

but don't know the statutes and stuff to get detailed.....

kgcb

I am going through a SELF REPRESENTATION process in the state of Indiana to terminate CS.   Whatever advice you can provide, I would appreciate it?  What obstacles might I face?

MixedBag

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/emancipate.php

see the article above and it gives you the reference in the IN Code.

If the web page address doesn't work, scroll DOWN on the SPARC page, click on that search, and then search on "college" and you should get the article.

You can also search for "pro se" articles that contain advice on representing yourself.