Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 05:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reasonable "college" Expenses

Started by LizaLou1, Mar 01, 2004, 08:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizaLou1

Dear Soc,

Divorce Decree states DH will pay 50% of reasonable college expenses for up to 4 years of college for full time students until age 22.   It also states the DH will be involved in any major financial decisions.

1.  Is auto insurance a reasonable college expense?

2.  Even if the kid has a full time job, states he/she is emancipated (age 20) and take their own tax exemption?

3.  Does in make any difference that the kid independently, sold the older model car paid for by parents and financed a new car without consulting the DH thus forcing higher insurance costs?

Thanks,

LizaLou

ccmom

In my opinion reasonable expenses would be tuition and books. Possibly some living expenses, but I think that could be highly debatable.

I'm not an attorney.....just my opinion.

bananas

I agree... once you start paying for car-related expenses (because the car is required to get to and from class), you'll be paying for food, because food is a requirement for life (and why pay for classes if you're not alive), and entertainment, because that's a requirement too or else you'd get bored, etc.etc.  You see where I'm going with this?  It will all just start to add up and soon you'll be paying for EVERYTHING, because "it's a college expense".

IMHO, college expenses includes tuition and books, and that's about all.

MixedBag

I would think that room and board (which is food) is also a college expense -- particularly if college is "away" from home.

I can see where bananas is coming from though....

For example, a Pell Grant can be used for tuition, books, and supplies, but not room and board.  (So is a COMPUTER a reasonable supply?)

Lots of room for interpretation here....

oklahoma

My husband's scholarship pays for 90% of his "college expenses"--including room and board, tuition and fees, books and supplies, and childcare.  (In certain programs, laptop computers are REQUIRED, in which case the scholarship program will also pay for 90%.)  The university calculates these expenses and forwards the numbers to the scholarship program--we have no say in the matter, and are not required to provide receipts or anything (except the child care costs.)

Every college gives this list and the costs as part of the Financial Aid Award--they then deduct scholarships and grants from the amount and tell you what the "parental contribution" should be.  There is always room for interpretation... but I think that it is a pretty accurate and well-defined list of "college expenses."

I am very interested to hear what Soc has to say about this.....

MixedBag

I worked AFROTC and we had one scholarship that was uncapped.

I agree that some schools required a computer, but that didn't mean that we paid for it under any circumstances.

So -- lots of room for interpretation and I know AL law is really vague as it is written because I live there.  The answer probably lies in AL case laws.

LizaLou1

My gut reaction is to pay the same assuming no divorce had ever taken place as MY personal choice.  For my child I will probably pay at least a part of auto ins when my girl goes to school and would do the same for his kids until either batch (mine or his) did something irresponsible (speeding tickets, poor grades, etc).  I see the car as a privilege not a inherent right.  I also think kids should work part time in college to help defray the cost of their education.

Alabama law only comes into play to because of the divorce which as you have pointed out is open to interpretation.  I believe the mitigating factor is the fact the the kid sold the older car only requiring liability ins his parents provided and bought a NEW car requiring full coverage on his own and contrary to his father consent.  

So, if the kid wants a new car, he should bear the extra costs of his decision - which is an increase of over 60%.   But, Soc is "the man" hopefully he is well and will return soon.

LizaLou

socrateaser

>1.  Is auto insurance a reasonable college expense?

Could be argued either way. Up to the judge and dependent on just how difficult it would make college for the child to have to pay him/herself.

>2.  Even if the kid has a full time job, states he/she is
>emancipated (age 20) and take their own tax exemption?

Please rephrase the question -- I don't understand.

>3.  Does in make any difference that the kid independently,
>sold the older model car paid for by parents and financed a
>new car without consulting the DH thus forcing higher
>insurance costs?

Could make a very big difference, because this may indicate that the child is taking on unnecessary personal debt and trying to force DH to subsidize it.