Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 06:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ex wants SSN of child

Started by Kent, May 27, 2004, 10:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Background:
Ex and I have shared physical, but I have sole legal. Our son was not born in the US, and does not have a SSN (only a Tax ID Number).
Ex wants me to get him a SSN and give her the number, so she can open a savings account in his name. I am very hesitant to do this.

1) At some point and time I will have to get him a SSN. Am I required to give her the SSN? Nothing in the custody order about this.

2) IF I give her his SSN, and she messes with it (i.e. runs up a credit card in his name), will I be held responsible for the bills? (having sole legal custody)

3) Having sole legal, would I have any rights to this savings account? (Now that would be a hoot... LOL)

4) Is it unreasonable of me to tell her to open an account for him in her own name? You know, dangers of identity theft... (and she deliberatley ruined my credit in the past).

Thanks!

Kent!

hisliltulip

Umm, that's a crock.

She can open an account with her as primary and DS as secondary.  All they need is HER SS#.  

I did this for son after I changed my last name back to my maiden name.  It was a hassle when B-day and X-mas checks showed up for him in his name.

Since you have legal, I don't think you have to give her the number, but Soc would know better than me.

wendl

hmm when I opened a savings account for my son, since he was the minor I was the custodial of the account and they didnt need my sons ssn

:)

I cry_ in_the_dark

Had a good chuckle  ;-)

Several years ago, my X asked me for copies of the kids birth certs and socials. I told him I would be happy to provide these, for a mere $10.00.  (Time, paper, ink, gas, postage etc.)

He refused. Cost him a tad pretty penny more than that  ;-)

socrateaser

>1) At some point and time I will have to get him a SSN. Am I
>required to give her the SSN? Nothing in the custody order
>about this.

You are only required to give an SS# to a person/entity who intends or actually gives you income. So, unless the child's mother intends to pay the child and report it to the IRS, or the bank account will be opened in the child's sole name, then she doesn't need the SS#, absent a court order.

>
>2) IF I give her his SSN, and she messes with it (i.e. runs up
>a credit card in his name), will I be held responsible for the
>bills? (having sole legal custody)

Using someone else's SS# to obtain goods/services is identity theft and fraud, so my answer is no, if it's the mother that's doing it. If the child does it on his/her own, then you could be held responsible.

>
>3) Having sole legal, would I have any rights to this savings
>account? (Now that would be a hoot... LOL)

If the mother intends to open a trust savings account (called a totten trust), such an account is actually the mother's property until her death, since it is entirely revocable at her will. In this case, my answer is No.
>
>4) Is it unreasonable of me to tell her to open an account for
>him in her own name? You know, dangers of identity theft...
>(and she deliberatley ruined my credit in the past).

Not unreasonable and I suspect that this is what she intends anyway.

mango

We had a rental house with a family of renters (con artists) that did not pay rent. The mother had 3 small kids, she had all the utilities put in their names. They were children, and clueless. She never paid the bills.

We only know this because the bills continued to come to the house after we evicted them.

God only knows how badly this woman destroyed her own childrens credit before they even are aware of what credit even is.

mango

We had a rental house with a family of renters (con artists) that did not pay rent. The mother had 3 small kids, she had all the utilities put in their names. They were children, and clueless. She never paid the bills.

We only know this because the bills continued to come to the house after we evicted them.

God only knows how badly this woman destroyed her own childrens credit before they even are aware of what credit even is.