Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 02:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Attorney Question

Started by NeverGiveUp, Jun 03, 2004, 05:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverGiveUp

Soc,

Over two months ago I had my attorney draft the paperwork needed to resolve two outstanding issues.  I was told that a court date would be set.  I called yesterday to inquire and was informed, by the secretary, that there are no court dates pending or any paperwork submitted to the courts.  This is the second time this has happened.  I don't think my att is incompetent or out to get me.  I do think he has more on his plate than he can handle.  So I've been scouting and I've located several new prospects.  All are women. One was a paralegal for a law firm that was indicted for fraud.  She left, went to law school and then started her own practice.  She has a small office and took the time to read ALL of my records and took notes.  The other two are in well established law firms and one practices only family law.

1)Is it a bad idea to switch attorneys?  
2)Will it be used against me in court?
3)I don't expect that you can tell me who to choose based on this little info.  However, can you give me your opinion? Should I steer clear of the one that was a paralegal? She was the only one that took that much time to review my case and she isn't that popular ie she may have more time.  
4)If I choose one of the other two am I likely to end up right where I am, with an overworked attorney that doesn't have time for me?
5) Is it a bad idea for a man to have a woman for an attorney when dealing with custody?

socrateaser

>1)Is it a bad idea to switch attorneys?  

Depends on whether or not it looks like a stall tactic. Don't wait until the last second to change.

>2)Will it be used against me in court?

Doubtful, but possible.

>3)I don't expect that you can tell me who to choose based on
>this little info.  However, can you give me your opinion?
>Should I steer clear of the one that was a paralegal? She was
>the only one that took that much time to review my case and
>she isn't that popular ie she may have more time.

The attorney who you want is the one who has the most experience  before the judge who is presiding over your case. Nothing else is as important.

>4)If I choose one of the other two am I likely to end up right
>where I am, with an overworked attorney that doesn't have time
>for me?

I am not the Oracle.

>5) Is it a bad idea for a man to have a woman for an attorney
>when dealing with custody?

Ask each attorney  whether they believe that "best interests of the child" standard of review is the best possible means of determining custody. Any attorney who says yes to this question, either, has never really considered the question, or, that attorney is prepared to place your children's interests ahead of yours, whenever competing interests exist.

Frankly, I wouldn't want an attorney who wanted my child(ren)'s interests to prevail over my own, even if this is the standard by which the court is duty bound to uphold.

NeverGiveUp

Soc,

Over two months ago I had my attorney draft the paperwork needed to resolve two outstanding issues.  I was told that a court date would be set.  I called yesterday to inquire and was informed, by the secretary, that there are no court dates pending or any paperwork submitted to the courts.  This is the second time this has happened.  I don't think my att is incompetent or out to get me.  I do think he has more on his plate than he can handle.  So I've been scouting and I've located several new prospects.  All are women. One was a paralegal for a law firm that was indicted for fraud.  She left, went to law school and then started her own practice.  She has a small office and took the time to read ALL of my records and took notes.  The other two are in well established law firms and one practices only family law.

1)Is it a bad idea to switch attorneys?  
2)Will it be used against me in court?
3)I don't expect that you can tell me who to choose based on this little info.  However, can you give me your opinion? Should I steer clear of the one that was a paralegal? She was the only one that took that much time to review my case and she isn't that popular ie she may have more time.  
4)If I choose one of the other two am I likely to end up right where I am, with an overworked attorney that doesn't have time for me?
5) Is it a bad idea for a man to have a woman for an attorney when dealing with custody?

socrateaser

>1)Is it a bad idea to switch attorneys?  

Depends on whether or not it looks like a stall tactic. Don't wait until the last second to change.

>2)Will it be used against me in court?

Doubtful, but possible.

>3)I don't expect that you can tell me who to choose based on
>this little info.  However, can you give me your opinion?
>Should I steer clear of the one that was a paralegal? She was
>the only one that took that much time to review my case and
>she isn't that popular ie she may have more time.

The attorney who you want is the one who has the most experience  before the judge who is presiding over your case. Nothing else is as important.

>4)If I choose one of the other two am I likely to end up right
>where I am, with an overworked attorney that doesn't have time
>for me?

I am not the Oracle.

>5) Is it a bad idea for a man to have a woman for an attorney
>when dealing with custody?

Ask each attorney  whether they believe that "best interests of the child" standard of review is the best possible means of determining custody. Any attorney who says yes to this question, either, has never really considered the question, or, that attorney is prepared to place your children's interests ahead of yours, whenever competing interests exist.

Frankly, I wouldn't want an attorney who wanted my child(ren)'s interests to prevail over my own, even if this is the standard by which the court is duty bound to uphold.