Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 03:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

bm has been evicted for the third time...time for a custody change?

Started by junglechicken, Aug 28, 2004, 11:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglechicken

Hi soc,
I've never posted to you before so I hope I follow the guidelines correctly.

Background:

I'm a stepmom of 2 girls, ages 9 and 6 currently.  Been married to dh 3 years.  We live in Canada.

BM's household consists of her, her bf, their 4yo son, his 8yo daughter, and my girls.

This past Tuesday they were evicted from their third rental home.  In summer 2002 was the first eviction, the second not even a year ago, November 2003.

My dh said several times since November that if they get evicted again, he will go for custody.

BM, her son, and my girls are staying with bm's parents.  BF and his daughter are staying with bf's parents.

We're a little frazzled and can't think straight enough to develop a decent strategy at the moment.  Here are some questions:

1.  Should dh attempt to have any discussions with bm about the current living situation?

2.  What would be the best way for him to approach her (a woman of low intellect, no money, separated from her bf, living with her parents after being evicted for the third time, with three kids) for such a discussion?

3.  Do we have time to do some research into legal counsel, or is this something we need to jump on immediately?

I think that's all for now.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

socrateaser

>1.  Should dh attempt to have any discussions with bm about
>the current living situation?

I wouldn't bother. It will just make things worse.

>
>2.  What would be the best way for him to approach her (a
>woman of low intellect, no money, separated from her bf,
>living with her parents after being evicted for the third
>time, with three kids) for such a discussion?

Approach her like she is a wild tiger. Would you approach a wild tiger? I wouldn't.

>
>3.  Do we have time to do some research into legal counsel, or
>is this something we need to jump on immediately?

I don't really understand your facts. You state that the other parent is living with her parents, and that YOUR children are living there, too?

What's up with dat? Please clarify the exact nature of the living arrangements and relationships of all of the parties, including yourself and your children.

junglechicken

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to point #3, I have no children.  I refer to my sds as my girls.  Sorry about that.

socrateaser

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>In answer to point #3, I have no children.  I refer to my sds
>as my girls.  Sorry about that.

OK, well, the question is why is the mother and children being evicted. In order for the evidence to be relevant to custody, there must be some sort of pattern, and that pattern must be harmful to the kids. Certainly, the instability of the location could be considered harmful, but by itself, it probably isn't enough. So, why are these evictions taking place?