Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 10:54:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Need help finding info on BM

Started by Dr.Stepmom, Aug 09, 2004, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Stepmom

DH just found out today that BM may soon be arrested for some illegal activity.  BM  has primary custody right now.  We made some calls and cound not find any info on the case he was tipped off about (maybe it is too recent), but did learn of a previous arrest on a restraining order violation.

1. Does anyone know how to get this type of info?  Is there any way to do it online?  We are in CA.

2. How do we make sure SD stays safe?  She is a toddler and we are sure BM would never inform us if she was arrested.

I would appreciate any help.

TGB

You can check at your local courthouse to see if there are any records (see http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/records.htm ). There won't be a court case file, however, unless she has been arraigned. A Private Investigator MIGHT have access to arrest records before they get to the courts, but that depends on a lot of variables (local or state laws and practices).

If there is a previous restraining order, which there must be for her to have violated it, then you definitely want to see the paperwork associated with that restraining order. What did she do to get a restraining order against her? Courts hand out restraining orders like candy to WOMEN who want them, but it's much more difficult to get one against a woman. You will most likely find some very interesting information that can be used in your custody case. Court records are very admissable as evidence in other court cases.

I'm not sure what is the best way to deal with the notification issue.

jilly

You may be able to find the information you're looking for by going to the courthouse and obtaining a criminal history report. Give her name, address and date of birth (if you know it).  They may even have computers set up at the courthouse where you can search for this information yourself. If there is a file set up, especially for the violation of a restraining order, you can give the file number to the clerk and have them pull the file for you. For a minimal charge they will make a copy for you.
Is there a custody order filed with the court? If so, I would file an emergency order as soon as you find out the information you're looking for. If your DH has an attorney he needs to call him/her and advise of this situation. If your DH doesn't have an attorney he needs to get one fast!

maxwell

You can sometimes run a criminal check on a web site run by local law enforcement. Do a google search for criminal searches in your state/county. You may need the full name, aliases, SSN, DOB, etc. If the online search is limited (e.g., doesn't accept aliases) sometimes you can send in a written request. There may be a small fee also.

Only thing I found thus far:
Department of Justice Records Review Unit, P.O. Box 903417, Sacramento, CA 94203; (916) 227-3849.

SadStepMom

Peanutsdad

There are several ways to discover arrests.

The easiest, if find a PI who is also a police officer,, or was one. It'll cost ya in the neighborhood or 200 to get just that information.

Another way,, if you currently have a case in court is to fill out a subpeona and have an associate deliver it to the police station custodian of records. Ask for any and all documents relating to BM.

They'll be happy to make a copy , for a small nominal price and hand them to your associate..

I've used both methods. The PI located the station that had the records,, I then used the subpeona to obtain them. After reading thru them all, ( and there were a LOT),  I then issued a second subpeona listing the documents, and the custodian of records to appear in court on such an such date to testify that these are true copies, yadda, yadda, yadda.

littlebit

I suggest the phone and the court house rather that the web.  You can obtain more info and it will be current.   Don't think twice about asking dumb questions, asking the wrong person, or asking too many questions.  The more you do this, the more you will find out!

Check for warrants.  In my county, there is a listing in the phone book strictly for this.  I called and said "I need to know if there are any warrants out for John Smith, social security #000-11-2222."  Simple as that!  

Check for past convictions or acquitals.  A good rule of thumb is that EVERYTHING is public record except information about children.  

Check driving record.  This may sound insignificant, but it really paid off for me.  

Check for any reports made to DHR.  This will be a little trickier, but since your DH is the legal parent, it is possible.  

Good Luck!

DeeDee

1. you can hire a PI who can do a Cletis (sp?) check on her.

2. If you know the county the crime/arrest took place you can get booking sheets on request for a cetain day/time and maybe able to get the actually arresting officer's report for a fee. (typically 5 or 10 bucks)

3. Some counties in CA have the pending criminal court calendars available on-line..(this means you could find out court dates/case numbers by doing a name search for pending criminal court cases)

4. Where would your SD go if bm was arrested? She be taken into protective custody if bm had no one to leave sd with.(if so, then cps would know--and would contact you)  This would probably be where a PI would help you out the most if SD is at a friends or relative's home.

5. Most times, depending on the nature of the restraining order violation, it is simply a matter of quick ticketing and booking and a quick release. (two or three hours at the least--may not involve any overnight jail time at all.)

onedaddy

Try this site: http://www.searchsystems.net/list.php?nid=11
There is usually a fee for public records but some states will let you know if somethings there first be it a marriage, divorce, realty lein, or court order so you only order what you need.
all states will provide free records for former prisoners and in new york can find out future criminal cases, so once she's been arraigned you can obtain a case number on line through a court web site than you can take the case number and depending on the county try and get the info on the phone or see the clerk at the courthouse for a small fee usually $5 they will give you a certified copy of the arrest, if your not near by they will usually make arrangements through written requests.