Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 05:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Certificate a Public Record

Started by LizaLou1, Oct 18, 2004, 01:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizaLou1

Soc,

I noted your recent post were you said a Death Certificate was a public record.  This implies to me anybody can get a copy.  

A while back I had reason to get a great uncle's death certificate.  The state of Alabama refused me because my relationship was not close enough.  I had to get a notorized request, detailing why it was needed, from another great uncle in order to obtain the record.   Thank goodness Uncle Ed is living (he's 84) or I'd be out of luck uh?

Is it a Alabama thing or is that what you mean by public record?

Thanks  

LizaLou

socrateaser

>Is it a Alabama thing or is that what you mean by public
>record?

Just like with the Federal Freedom of Information Act, the government can make you go through serious hoops in order to gain access to a "public" record. Nevertheless, the record is public. Personally, I think it's a serious breach of our freedoms, and a signpost pointing to tiranny, to impose conditions on access to any but the most sensitive national security documents. But, We the People allow our legislators to set up such obsticles to access, and the result is that we are all less free.

LizaLou1

Soc,

I noted your recent post were you said a Death Certificate was a public record.  This implies to me anybody can get a copy.  

A while back I had reason to get a great uncle's death certificate.  The state of Alabama refused me because my relationship was not close enough.  I had to get a notorized request, detailing why it was needed, from another great uncle in order to obtain the record.   Thank goodness Uncle Ed is living (he's 84) or I'd be out of luck uh?

Is it a Alabama thing or is that what you mean by public record?

Thanks  

LizaLou

socrateaser

>Is it a Alabama thing or is that what you mean by public
>record?

Just like with the Federal Freedom of Information Act, the government can make you go through serious hoops in order to gain access to a "public" record. Nevertheless, the record is public. Personally, I think it's a serious breach of our freedoms, and a signpost pointing to tiranny, to impose conditions on access to any but the most sensitive national security documents. But, We the People allow our legislators to set up such obsticles to access, and the result is that we are all less free.