Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 08:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

OT but need your guidance

Started by LizaLou1, Apr 20, 2005, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizaLou1

I'm in Alabama trying to buy an 1954 chevy from my Dad and Aunt (jointly inherited from grandfather/Aunt is executor).  There is no title due to age of the chevy.  Everyone is cool with my purchase.  

When they inherited the auto is was in fine working order.  Now it is nothing but a shell, rusted out, motor gone, transmission gone, seats, steering column all gone).  While the condition is heartbreaking, it's not the issue.  The issue is getting the bill of sale worded correctly. Also, I don't want to get stuck paying back taxes as it's been "off the road" since 1988.  

1.  Is it still an "auto" considering it's condition?  

2.  With the motor gone, can I put mileage unknown?

3.  How can I protect myself from back taxes?

Thanks a million.

LizaLou

socrateaser

>1.  Is it still an "auto" considering it's condition?  

Motor vehicles must be registered if they are being driven on the road. The car may have already been reported "salvaged" to the DMV by the previous owner, in which case, if you restore it, you will need to reregister. Otherwise, there's nothing to do, but keep it registered if you intend to use it on the public roads.

>
>2.  With the motor gone, can I put mileage unknown?

Yes.

>
>3.  How can I protect myself from back taxes?

Check with DMV now to determine if the car has any government levys against it. Also, get a dated and signed bill of sale from the previous owner, stating, among other things, that they agree to be responsible for any unpaid taxes and/or fees.

LizaLou1