Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Failing school

Started by NeverGiveUp, Jun 07, 2005, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverGiveUp

I received a call from my daughters school last week.  Her teacher told me she was very concerned.  She tells me my daughter is in danger of failing classes, mostly due to incomplete homework assignments.  She also indicated that she would be willing to spend time after school to help her make up the assignments.  I contacted my ex and let her know what is happening.  I also offered to leave work and pick up my daughter after school to help make sure the assignments get done.  The response was, "You can ask her if she wants your help, if she says okay then you can help her."  This is such a dead end. My daughter is 14 and has told her teachers that she doesn't care anymore if she fails.  She has dyslexia and I believe she needs more one-on-one assistance to get through this.  However, I can't make her want to do it and if her mom won't support me in making it happen, then it just won't get done. The end of the school year is a few short weeks away. I have only one more weekend with her and I don't know that it will be sufficient.

1)I don't even know what to ask anymore.  I don't want the kid to fail and I know it will take a firm loving stance and willingness to provide the support she needs.  What can I do? I've been beaten up so many times by their GAL that I'm gun-shy. I know this isn't the proper format and my question is vague.  I'm a desperate dad that is struggling with idea of turning his back.  She needs help, she isn't asking for help and she's not going to accept it because she doesn't believe she can do it. There's a difference, that's why 14YO's still have parents.  What can I do?

socrateaser

> What can I do?

File a motion to modify custody, on grounds that the child's failure in school represents a substantial change in circumstances affecting the child's best interests. Explain to the court that the child is in some distress, and the other parent seems to be unwilling cooperate with you to do anything to help remedy the situation.

If the GAL doesn't agree, then hire your own expert and have the child evaluated.

Or, just offer to pay for private tutoring, counseling, etc., which may be cheaper than the litigation costs. Not much else to suggest.