Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Son needs drug rehab/treatment, mom won't agree. What can be done?

Started by United, Oct 20, 2005, 08:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

United

Hello Soc,

I am in CA and share joint physical and joint legal.  Son is 14 and has a history of alcohol and drug use when in moms custody.  He overdosed recently.   This wasn't the first time, but this time she took him to the ER as he was shaking and foaming at the mouth.  His blood alcohol was .22  He is diabetic as well.

I believe we almost lost him this time and know there WILL be a next time if nothing changes.  I want to put him in a rehab program or wilderness program and I'm willing to pay.  

Ex is dead-set against this.  In fact, she immediately told our sone that I'm  trying to "send him away to military school" and  polarized this issue further.  She stated that she doesn't want son to be mad at her.  She will only agree to counseling of a counselor she chooses.

I believe she is in denial due to her own alcohol issues or is afraid of how this will be perceived.  We just finished a custody trial 6 months ago and it was a horrible experience for everyone, but mostly the kids.  I raised these issues in trial, but ex lied to downplay.   Is there something I can do legally to intervene for my boy here?  

Thank you very much for any advice.

socrateaser

>I believe she is in denial due to her own alcohol issues or is
>afraid of how this will be perceived.  We just finished a
>custody trial 6 months ago and it was a horrible experience
>for everyone, but mostly the kids.  I raised these issues in
>trial, but ex lied to downplay.   Is there something I can do
>legally to intervene for my boy here?  

You could move for emergency custody again, on grounds that the child is will suffer irreparable harm if allowed to remain in the mother's care. You could also file a report with DCFS and see what comes out of it.

You should immediately attempt to obtain the ER records. Many hospitals do not retain emergency room, and they don't always forward to the primary care physician. So, if you don't move fast, your best evidence may end up in a shredder.