Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

She gave her to me AGAIN!

Started by wallyworld, Jan 27, 2007, 07:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallyworld

Some of you old timers remember me beginning 5 years ago when my ex gave me our daughter (IM IN IL, They were in FL) because "she had other things she wanted to get done with her life".  My daughter told me of abuse I filed in court.  Well my lawyer messed up daughter only lived her 5 not 6 months so ex got her back (ex answered order because she and her parents were upset about the abuse allegations).  THen they (ex and her parents) kept my daughter from me for approx. 2 years during court proceedings in FL (mainly to raise my c hild support).  WEll in 2005 I thought all was done.  12000 dollars later 3 different attorneys FINALLY we were totally done with all court and I ended up in a pretty good position.  LIberal visitation (all summer Splitting all major holidays and breaks) and child support was actually a fair amount!

Well guess what?  After all the thousands spent my ex has gotten PG and married the guy.  He HATES my daughter.  So you guess it.  During my xmas visitation she MOVED from Tampa FL to NY without tell anyone (including our daughter) and has asked me to keep her (again for an undetermined amount of time.)

SHe was suppopsed to sign an agreement for custody to me, but is since backing out.  (she's still getting child support from me ).  She wants to still have our daughter as a pawn against me.  So legally she won't do it.  FOr summer my daugher really wants to visit her mother and maternal family.  So she will, BUT summer starts at her only living in IL for 5 months AGAIN so if ex decided to keep her she could.  

But i still cannot believe I have her, AGAIN.

What would you do?

mistoffolees

Do you have joint legal custody? If so, I'd probably be tempted to keep the daughter until the 6 months was up and then let her visit toward the end of the summer. If you play your cards right, you could simply say that August is a better time for her to visit NY so you'll plan to send her in August. If the mother has legal custody, you don't have much choice - you have to give the daughter back when she asks.

Even if you have joint legal custody, you're going to want to discuss this with your lawyer before doing anything.  There's too much at state to rely on my opinion or any other advice from someone who's not legally representing you.

Sunshine1

Stall Stall Stall!!!  Get her in swimming lessons, soccer, a play, anything during those critical months so she has been there long enough.  I would send her for a determined amount of time, just in time for school to start when she gets back.  I would maybe try finding out when school starts in the BM's state and have her visit when it isn't anywhere close to starting.

If the Sdad hates the child, he isn't going to want her there for very long anyway.

I also wouldn't mention a lick about keeping her or changing custody until she gets back from the visitation.

GET A BETTER ATTORNEY THIS TIME!!!!

Kitty C.

I agree with the 2 previous posters.  It sounds like your CO ONLY addresses YOUR summer vacation tome, but not HERS.  Meaning I think it would be up to you as to when you could send your daughter.  So if you got her in December, wait to send her in July WITH a confirmed round-trip ticket.  But I would also strongly recommend going over all this with an atty. as well.  
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

HelpingHands

MOST IMPORTANTLY I would get with an attorney, post to socrateaser and get all your ducks in a row.

Just my thoughts here:

Dad's court order states he gets the child for x amount of time during the summer, right?

Not to be too sneaky, but technically, wouldn't DAD have the legal authority to keep the DD during the summer, 'to exercise his court ordered visitation' if mom tried anything to keep her? Dad could keep the child long enough into the summer  to get past the 6 months needed to change jurisidiction and file for change of custody. (school activities, summer vacation with family, friends, etc)

Also, since neither parent nor the child are living in the state of Florida, Florida should relinquish jurisdiction to the state the child has been living in (dad's state).

Mom hasn't met her 6 month residency requirement in her new state. At the end of the 6 months, child will have lived with dad in their new state, mom in her new state without child. Child will have no significant ties with mom's new state.

It's possible you may be able to file an Ex Parte hearing for custody based on the fact that mom 'abandoned' the child with you, hasn't picked the child up and has moved from their home into another state without notification to the court, child or other parent.

If you move forward, I would also go to the Child Support office and show them proof of the child living with you (via school records) and have child support stopped.

Kitty C.

Definitely pose this to Soc.  If the BM has abandoned even the state that currently holds jurisdiction, it's very possible that you would have firmer ground to stand on about this, Wally.  Definitely get this checked out thoroughly!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Davy

Interstate custody cases are a cash cow for attorneys and courts all at the further endangerment to children.  

A reading of each state's UCCJA and the federal PKPA statue should clearly reveal that FLORIDA HAS LOST JURISDICTION since no party (mom/dad) continues to reside in the state.  However, the Federal court
tends to make decisions on the rule of law (actual statues) while state courts base decisions on an inept social policy.  

For example, in my case, a Federal court ruled (15 minute hearing)  all IL proceedings halted and the children returned to the TX home state.  Of course, the TX court in a 5 minute hearing changed temporary CP from dad to mom without cause and ordered the children returned to IL.
Previously, the TX court urged permanent CP to dad by default while children resided in IL.   The only matter maintaining TX jurisdiction was my TX residency.   Once I left TX and gained IL residency (90 days) the TX absolutely lost jurisdiction and the kidnapping haven state legally gained jurisdiction since the children had been there 30 months by that time.  Almost immediately, dad received defacto custody in IL and subsequently returned the children to TX 1.5 years later.  

As you know, the 6 month rule only pertains to the residency of the child.  The sentence in the legal statues  is followed by "AND's" and "OR's" ... not a period.  

If I were you, I would try to ascertain mama's NY residency (length of time, checking account, lease, etc) but just as icing on the cake before TELLING an IL attorney to TELL the IL court to provide you as the responsible, loving, nuturing custodial parent.  There is no neeed to provide FL with any notification but the IL court may want to do that by phone (provisional in the statues) as a matter of respect.  If the IL state court/attorney fails to function to PROTECT YOUR CHILD then go read the statues to a federal judge using the PKPA as a basis.

I would not allow the child to visit in NY or FL until she is of age since either state is likely to claim jurisdiction merely on the child's presence in the state irregardles of how many months the child has resided anywhere else.  

You have done fairly well to this point ... do no give-in.

MixedBag

I too would encourage you to be careful about sending her to NY based on your previous experiences that you have shared with everyone here.

You have a court order that says your daughter gets summers with you.  I believe that's gonna be your leverage in keeping her over the summer.

I also want to encourage tons of contact via other methods between the mom and the child so that when you do walk into a courtroom, the mom and child can't say "we haven't been able to speak to each other".

Jurisdiction is FL for permanent changes until the child hits that 6 months.  I would even argue that it can't be NY until the child has been there for 6 months.

So it's best to lay low until the child is with you in IL for 6 months.

And don't send her until Mom provides accurate and verifiable address and I say that because of her history of disappearing in FL all over the panhandle....

wallyworld

Thanks all for your advice....  I posted on Soc.  He said to do an ex parte hearing in IL based on the fact that mom "abondoned" her when she left FL to live in NY without telling anyone.  Then FL will automatically relinquish juris. AND IL will get the jurisdiction because it is where she lives.  I also think that because my daughter has moved 15 (not exaggerating) times in the last 5 years and has attended almost 10 schools during that time and I have NEVER moved ONCE during that same time  that will help my case.  And the fact that this is the 3rd time she has "given" my daughter up.  (twice to me, once to her parents ((after she asked me first, but then backed out because her parents through a fit--I coudn't prove that my ex wasn't living there too)

So I called STBX she said she would talk about the agreement later so I told her that I have a date with an attorney Monday.  She was like about what?  I said to see where everthing is going at this point.  She said she'd call me sunday then.  Anything I should say to ex when she calls?

mistoffolees

I don't think I'd tell her anything. You want to get things filed with the court before she has a chance to respond. In fact, I wouldn't have even told her I was seeing an attorney.

Get your ex parte hearing scheduled and THEN tell her. At that point, you've got at least some protection (but my guess is that it's still limited since she's legally the custodial parent). Please talk with your attorney or Soc before taking ANY moves - even ones that might seem harmless.