Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 19, 2024, 04:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This is the week in Iowa!

Started by Kitty C., Apr 05, 2004, 01:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

I changed/corrected a few little things, cut/paste below if you like.

Mahaska County!?!?!? My family is from Oskaloosa and Tioga! Or is it Rose Hill and Eddyville... hahaha... Small world, here on the big 'ol net!

-----------------------------------------
Dear Gov. Vilsack:

I am writting regarding HF22, a bill coming before you. I am a resident of Illinois and have strong family ties to Mahaska County, Iowa.

My concern is for the children of this country. It is a National epedimic for children to be torn away from loving, nuturing Non-Custodials. Parents divorce each other, not the children.

There is a definate gender bias in the family court system. 60 to 75% of all divorces are initiated by women. Women get primary custody of the children in a divorce about 80% of the time, along with the award of child support, 1/2 of the marital assets, and generally the house if one is at issue. The father gets placed in the position of being a court-ordered visitor in the lives of his children, and every month he has to turn over anywhere from 20 to 65% of his gross income, to the mother who walked out on him and took his kids. In a growing number of these cases, the mother either totally denies visitation or makes visitation so difficult and costly that the father is completely eviscerated from the lives of his children.

Please sign this bill into law. It is the first step in opening the door for all children to have both parents remain in their lives. It is a Child's Right, a God given Right, A Human Right and a Non-Custodials Right to stay involved with their children.

This is a chance to give the 'Family back to the children.'

Sincerely,

Kitty C.

Christy Vilsack is a VERY nice lady....I had a chance to meet and talk to her a couple years ago and was very impressed with her.  With her state reading campaign geared to elem. kids, I'm thinking she can give some influence to her husband on this issue!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Hawkeye

I just got off the phone with Governor Vilsack's office, 515-281-5211, and asked how do I voice support for HF22.

His secretary/receptionist immediately connected me directly to the Governor's Liason for Policy and he asked for my name and address and asked me what I would like the Governor to do.

I told him to please relay to the Governor my support for HF22 and to please encourage him to sign it into law.

He thanked me and I thanked him and that was that! I asked him if and when the signing would take place, he said that technically the bill has not reached his desk, per-se' - as the legislature has some last minute details to take care of... (maybe getting the parchament paper and all those ink-pens ready??) but he said the Governor is reviewing it and it should be acted upon by the time the current legislative session ends. Maybe it's just a matter of sorting them into stacks of 'sign' and 'veto'.

My guess would be no more than about a month, unless they extend the session due to some other bills, you know, important stuff like gambling! haha....

I also asked him if they were receiving emails about it, he said "OH - YEAH!" with a positive tone to his voice.

I wonder if the 100 or so folks around the globe I emailed this morning are hot on their keyboards? *grin*

Keep Spreading the word....  (and pass the mustard!) lol!

Kitty C.

And I just e-mailed Gov. Vilsack's exec. assistant, asking the same thing:  when.  On his website, under News and Information, there is a list of bills he's signed and his activities under 'Current Releases'.  I'm hoping we can get a heads-up far enough in advance that we can make a trip to Des Moines for the signing!!  Staying EXTREMELY optimistic here!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MYSONSDAD

My Mom wrote to her this morning. Giving the Grandmothers point of view. It was a tear jerker. Didn't know she had it in her. Made me realize just how important her grandson is to her. I printed it out to give my son when he is older. It said it all...

"Children learn what they live"

MYSONSDAD

Mine was from Ottumwa and Fremont, hi neighbor!

Thanks for the suggestions!! Sounds better.

Kitty C.

........if you posted it here?  I think it's important to know how grandparents feel as well, but it's up to her.........

MYSONSDAD

Is it HR22 or HF22? I see it both ways here.

Hope I did not mess up.

I talked with my Mom, she said okay, but only parts of it. Too much pain, it took alot for her to write it. She is a quiet person and it was somewhat personal.

MYSONSDAD

DECIDED TO DELETE, TOO MANY WATCHFUL EYES

I wonder if the Mother of my son has ever given a thought that she will someday be the Grandmother and have to go thru this...

tkhjr

I am not a grandmother but this letter brought tears to my eyes. You are so right, The CHILDREN are the ones to suffer!! I dont understand how a mother could do this to a child but they do it all the time! We are currntly in court fighting for a right to be in my SS life and mom has kept us from him all his 7 years. It is so sad it just tears us up to see his confusion and hurt but all we can do is fight! This letter is great! I was wondering if you sent it to Mr. Vilsak as well? Keep fighting and NEVER give up!!