Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 19, 2024, 12:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More on Terri Schiavo

Started by StPaulieGirl, Nov 21, 2003, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosonew

Hello!!! I don't believe I have read anywhere that the Nazi's executed only Jewish vegetables??!!  They executed thousands of men, women and children who were healthy and full of life and promise.  I feel very sorry for Terri and her family.  And I also think if the parents (whom the father probably walked her down the aisle and "GAVE HER AWAY" to this man) should be given the option of taking responsibility for her care and all medical costs if that is what is troubling the husband.  

As a parent, I too would do anything within my power to care for and help rehabilitate my child.  However, with a medical background, I also know when it is futile and feel quality of life is much prefered over quantity.  See the difference?  Quality vs. Quantity.  She was loved in life, and even more so, in death.  Let her go in peace so she may walk, sing, and be free of pain, and perhaps dance with the angels.

StPaulieGirl

QUOTE:

"A new study reveals Nazi Germany killed at least 200,000 people because of their disabilities—people deemed physically inferior, said a report compiled by Germany's Federal Archive. Researchers found evidence that doctors and hospital staff used gas, drugs and starvation to kill disabled men, women and children at medical facilities in Germany, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. . . .

"The Nazis launched the drive to root out what they called 'worthless lives' in the summer of 1939, pre-dating their full-scale organization of the Holocaust, in which they killed 6 million Jews." (Emphasis added).

The more than 200,000 "worthless lives" terminated by the Nazis before the Holocaust included few Jews. Most of those killed were other Germans considered unfit to be included in "the master race."

Terri is alive.  She is not on life support.  As a  person with a medical backround, you should know the difference.

VeronicaGia

I read somewhere (don't know where, possibly Fox News) that yes, he got a settlement, and spent it all keeping Terri in the hospital and taking care of her.  He didn't spend it on himself......

Read both sides of the story, you are only presenting one side.

VeronicaGia

http://reason.com/links/links102303.shtml

October 23, 2003

Is Terri Schiavo Dead?

Eat, drink, and vegetate

Ronald Bailey

Terri Schiavo has been in a persistent vegetative state since 1990. Her husband wants to withdraw the nutrition and hydration her body has been receiving and allow her body to die. Her mother, father, and sister—and now Florida Governor Jeb Bush—want to continue supplying her body with food and water until... what? She wakes up? Dies of pneumonia?

What is a persistent vegetative state? According to the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke people in PVS "have lost their thinking abilities and awareness of their surroundings, but retain non-cognitive function and normal sleep patterns. Even though those in a persistent vegetative state lose their higher brain functions, other key functions such as breathing and circulation remain relatively intact. Spontaneous movements may occur, and the eyes may open in response to external stimuli. They may even occasionally grimace, cry, or laugh. Although individuals in a persistent vegetative state may appear somewhat normal, they do not speak and they are unable to respond to commands." People suffering from PVS can generally be distinguished from afflicted but cognitively intact patients who suffer from "locked-in syndrome" by the fact that "locked in" patients can track visual stimuli and use eye blinks for communication.

According to most neurological experts, Terri Schiavo is definitely PVS—her eyes do not really track visual stimuli and she cannot communicate using eye blinks. However, Terri Schiavo's parents have posted several short ambiguous video clips online which are meant to show that Ms. Schiavo responds to stimuli. But what they show seems to fit an AMA's report of how PVS patients can respond to environmental cues without being aware. Specifically, the report notes, "Despite an 'alert demeanor', observation and examination repeatedly fail to demonstrate coherent speech, comprehension of the words of examiners or attendants, or any capacity to initiate or make consistently purposeful movements. Movements are largely confined to reflex withdrawals or posturing in response to noxious or other external stimuli. Since neither visual nor auditory signals require cortical integrity to stimulate brief orienting reflexes, some vegetative patients may turn the head or dart the eyes toward a noise or moving objects. However, PVS patients neither fixate upon nor consistently follow moving objects with the eyes, nor do they show other than startle responses to loud stimuli. They blink when air movements stimulate the cornea but not in the presence of visual threats per se."

Ms. Schiavo has been in this state for 13 years. What are her chances of recovering at least some awareness? Minnesota neurologist Ronald Cranford told the Washington Post, "There has never been a documented case of someone recovering after having been in a persistent vegetative state for more than 3 months. However, the journal Brain Injury reported the case, of a 26-year-old woman who, after being diagnosed as suffering from a persistent vegetative state for six months, recovered consciousness and, though severely disabled, is largely cognitively intact. However, it is generally agreed that if a patient doesn't become responsive before six months, his or her prognosis is extremely poor. A report on PVS by the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council finds that "patients in a state of post-coma unresponsiveness may emerge from it to become responsive," that "the probability of emergence becomes progressively less over time," and that "there is general agreement that emergence is less likely in older people, and in the victims of hypoxic brain damage." Terri Schiavo is the way she is because oxygen was cut off to her brain for 14 minutes; in other words, she suffered severe hypoxic brain damage.

So is Terri Schiavo still alive? The odds are way against it. It's time that her long-suffering parents and the grandstanding politicians let her go in peace.

Ronald Bailey is Reason's science correspondent.

StPaulieGirl

First of all, Michael Schiavo is a court appointed guardian.  Not just Terri's husband.  You must submit annual accounting of funds used to the court.  You are not allowed to spend the money for your personal needs, such as attorney fees, when the money was earmarked for rehabilitative therapy.  I was a court appointed guardian for my mom for 3 years.  You will account for every single nickel.  I had to post bond every year for the privelege of writing checks.  The money is for the sole benefit of the conservatee.  Of course you can charge a fee for your services, but all I asked for was the bond payments back.  Back to topic, Michael Schiavo needs to account for every dime he has spent out of Terri's medical trust fund.  

As for the Reason article, it's very well written.  Mr. Bailey has a right to his opinion; however I wonder if he bothered to speak to all the doctors and neurologists that say Terri has a chance of improvement?  Notice I said improvement.  She'll never be normal again.  There is a story that someone posted regarding a woman who either had PVS, or was in a coma.  I should have bookmarked the article, but I think I can find it.  It turns out that this woman was mentally aware the whole time, but was "locked in".  She went through the tortures of hell when her food and water was cut off.  Like I said, I need to find the article, but I think she managed to move her eyes or fingers, the "procedure" was halted, and now she does lectures.

Why would anyone take a chance that Terri is completely aware about what's happening to her?  Serial killers get put to death more humanely.

Why won't Michael Schiavo just divorce his wife, marry his gf, and move on?  He has a child, and one on the way.  Just let Terri's parents take care of her.  That's all they're asking for.  

Speaking of just letting go, why won't Michael Schiavo let go?  Why?

Grandstanding politicians?  Jeb in 2008!  I want that guy in my corner :)

VeronicaGia

Don't you think someone would have brought that up?  I've seen nothing about this, but he got the money 10 years ago.  So why isn't someone trying to have him removed with proof that he spent the money on himself?  

I know how it works.  My best friend is legal guardian to her mother, and has to do all this.  Though state laws vary, I know she has to account for everything.  So why hasn't he been removed as her guardian?  If he's not accounting for the money on a yearly basis in a proper manner, the court WILL do something about it.

As for his actions, I cannot know what he's been through in the last 10+ years.  I don't know how my DH or I would react to such a thing because I've never been there.

StPaulieGirl

No one has brought up financial improprieties, because they're too busy trying to gain custody of Terri.  

I don't think Michael's attorney, George Felos, is doing this Pro Bono.  Then again you never know.  Felos is an active "right to die" proponent. It is documented that Judge Greer also has hospice ties.  This is a very frustrating situation on all levels, from the dignity of a human being, to social engineering, to corruption.   Unless a new judge is appointed, it's safe to say that no investigation of the trust fund money will be launched.  I hope that Governor Bush wins the legal battle to clean this mess up.  Greer needs to be recalled and disbarred, and so does Felos.  

Who knows what anyone would do when faced with a situation like this?  I know that you wouldn't hurt someone on purpose just to shut them up.

kiddosmom

No matter what the 'Husbands' or 'Parents' motives are and although there is legalitise involved, I know that I personally would not wish to live as a vegtible, or even mentally retarded. I would prefer to pass away. Who would want to live not being able to move anything other then mebe your eyes? and maybe grunt? That is not life, it is just existing.

StPaulieGirl

Of course no one wants to live like that, but consider the method to dispose of such human beings.  We don't know how much Terri can understand and feel.  

Maybe we should just go with euthanasia.  Give all our handicapped relatives lethal injections.  I'm thinking about the implications of this, beyond Terri herself.  If the courts allow her to be starved to death, what will stop them from carrying this further?  Remember, it started out as a choice, now we're arguing about pulling out full term babies by their feet, and sucking their brains out.  It took 30 years for abortion to come to that.

kiddosmom

leathal injection? prisoners get that,, who is to say a prisoner who could live out a healthy life should get that but someone who cannot move and is trapped in a shell never to speak has to lay there in pain cannot?

its a matter of personal choice.

I frankly believe in the death penalty, so long as the person is guilty.
And i do not believe anyone would want to go through what this woman has had to endure.