Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Health insurance question  (Read 1151 times)


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Health insurance question
« on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »
My STBX is fighting that I have to supply her with health insurance for the remander of her life or untill she getts remarried.  We were only married for 4 years and she has always had a job but been on my insurance because she would bounce from job to job and never landed one with better insurance that mine.  I have contacted my Human Resources department and they will not cover an ex-spouse they said the only option is for her to elect COBRA for 18 months.  Her attorney is saying there is a law in MA that prohibits employers from removing ex-spouses from health insurance but I don't know if this is true or even how to find this out.  The divorce is going through NH my office is in MA but my employer is out of MI.  Does my employer have to do this if the law exsists in MA even though I am employed out of MI?  

Any advise would be great.


  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3049
  • Karma: 155
  • That's Me...MixedBag
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doilyboutique.com
RE: Health insurance question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:41:51 AM »
I'd ask Soc...the whole question

And I'd tell her attorney to give me the reference in MA law so that you can take it to your employer....(note the sarcasm...).....


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Health insurance question
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2005, 03:02:40 PM »
I wouldnt' think so.  A lot of businesses can escape a states laws because they have to only follow laws that their business originated in. at least that's what i've always been told


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.