Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Health insurance question

Started by T0052SC, Jan 04, 2005, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T0052SC

My STBX is fighting that I have to supply her with health insurance for the remander of her life or untill she getts remarried.  We were only married for 4 years and she has always had a job but been on my insurance because she would bounce from job to job and never landed one with better insurance that mine.  I have contacted my Human Resources department and they will not cover an ex-spouse they said the only option is for her to elect COBRA for 18 months.  Her attorney is saying there is a law in MA that prohibits employers from removing ex-spouses from health insurance but I don't know if this is true or even how to find this out.  The divorce is going through NH my office is in MA but my employer is out of MI.  Does my employer have to do this if the law exsists in MA even though I am employed out of MI?  

Any advise would be great.

MixedBag

I'd ask Soc...the whole question

And I'd tell her attorney to give me the reference in MA law so that you can take it to your employer....(note the sarcasm...).....

flewwellin

I wouldnt' think so.  A lot of businesses can escape a states laws because they have to only follow laws that their business originated in. at least that's what i've always been told