Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 08:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

appointed Attorney questions

Started by Shaggy579, Sep 19, 2005, 10:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaggy579

I have been sent summons for custody and support. Untill my wife took her children to her mothers house, I would qualify for an appointed atty. as there was 4 people in the household and I do not have a high income. Now that they are gone, I am just over the guidelines to qualify. I have not been to court for the support summons, and have gone for 1 custody appearance without counsel. I had been supporting my family and do not have savings to afford an attorney.

Being that support will be retroactive to the day she (they) left, am I technically paying support now? Can I tell that appointed counsel program that I should have a lower income guideline because of this? I am very confident that if my income were adjusted for the support cost that is currently accumulating that I would qualify for the program.

Any advice would be appreciated!

MixedBag

Not sure that the court would actually appoint an attorney for "civil and family" court situations.

start searching the internet for sites that govern your states' statutes and laws on what they will and will not consider.

And yes, sometimes, it's retroactive back to the date the CP filed for support, somtimes it's not.