Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 06:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any help is appreciated!

Started by debv67, Sep 15, 2006, 11:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

debv67

Hello....my ex-husband has not paid his child support in some time now.  He now owes about $10,000 in back payments.  The state is doing nothing, they cannot find his work information for garnishment.  I provided what I knew, but the company is denying that he works there (he has a company car, and picks up the kids wearing the company shirts!).  THe state is now harrassing me for information, they want me to talk to him about making his payments.  When I told them that I thought that was THEIR job, they promptly said "have a nice day" and hung up.  I have a valid court order....can I take him to court on my own?  Do I have to hire a lawyer?  I am in Rhode Island, my court order is in MA, and both states have been "trying" to collect.  Thanks to anyone with any advise!!!

Giggles

Welcome to my world.  Ugh!!  My x now owes about $16,500

What I have come to learn and that of many friends of mine in this same situation is that you have to continue to browbeat the lazy idiots at CSE.  Call your caseworker, if you don't get much done through them, then ask to speak to their supervisor, if that doesn't work keep going up the ladder.  I have a friend that has had to go all the way to her State Rep just to get something done!!

The ONLY consolation in all of this is the fact that his debt will NEVER go away.  He can be denied a passport, it goes on his credit report, etc.  As for the company denying that he works there, that could backfire on them bigtime.  You may want to see if you can get photos of his company car (that is a benefit for CS calculations btw) and him working there.  

I finally got a CS check in July (havent gotten one since...grr) but that was the first one since Feb 05...all because I kept on the  people at CSE.

Good Luck!!
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

debv67

Thanks for the support, Giggles!  I wrote to the director of Child Support Enforcement today, and copied the letter to my state rep, senator and congressman.  I sent them NCP's work vehicle's license plate as well.  I would think that would tell them exactly who he works for, if they take the time to run the plate!!!

I'm considering using a lawyer, but I know that they will take 30% at least.  But at this point, I have nothing to lose.

My kids have a great relationship with him, and have frequent visitation.  The irony is that if I denied one scheduled visit with him, he would have the police at my door, and would drag me in to court for contempt.  I wish I had those kind of resources.  I have no idea how to handle any of this in the courts by myself.

Deb