Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 20, 2024, 01:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Opinions please...

Started by richiejay, Aug 04, 2008, 07:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richiejay

I am asking what anyone's thoughts are on taking my ex back to court for more child support. A brief history.  

BM and I separated when son was 1 year old.  I gave her physical custody so long as I could have ample "visitation".  I was paying $175/wk for support.  Visitation turned out to be more than 60% on my part.  Shit hits the fan when she petitions to leave state.

After a few years, tens of thousands of dollars, and a few years taken off my life, I win physical custody and she pays me $150/wk.  That was 9 years ago.  Son about to go to high school now(14 years old).

Should I take her to court for more money? Keep in mind, in my state we fall out of guidelines as our combined income exceeds guideline standards, so I am not guaranteed there will be an increase.

ocean

Can you file for a COLA increase? In our state this is almost automatic. See if your court order qualifies.

Does your ex make more money now? Could you talk to her and see if she is willing to pay for a sport/something else instead of going back to court?

Here, we can file ourselves without lawyers and since it usually is about plugging in numbers not much more a lawyer could do. I have gone myself and they ask for your taxes, w2's and spit out a number.

justiceleague

Do you have any idea what she makes?

What state are you in?

In some states like NJ/ NY child support does not end until 21.

Also, in your last order was daycare included in the calculations. If so, you could see a downward modification as this would not be part of a calculation anymore.