Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Feb 21, 2024, 07:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

petition for involuntary termination of parental rights

Started by spinner, Apr 30, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


Anyone has samples of this process?

My wife's daughter has been with only one father for a long time now: me.
Her father lives in another far away country and has not had any contact with us for over 3 years. We do not know where he lives. He has no more family, ....

Bottom line is I would like to adopt my daughter and I understad that before I can do that we need to terminate her birth father's rights.

Anyone can give me clues as to the process?




I can't seem to find any forms, I think you will just have to draft a "Motion for Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights"

C'mon Spinner, you should be able to do this by yourself by now!  :)


Hi sunshine,
Are you sure that I'd file a "voluntary Termination" motion rather than an "involuntary Termiantion" ?
If my wife file the Motion for Involuntary Termination" based on the abandon and failing support reason, ... ?!?!? this sounds more appropriate.

Furthermore I read that the Juvenile Court is to rule on this but so then we file my motion with the Juvenile court not the family court ?

Even More I read that this goes better if you file the Motion to Adopt at the same time so that the court can see that there will not be a single burden, ...

do you file motion to adopt with juvenile court as well ?


Oh, for some reason I thought he wanted to sign off.  Does he pay child support?  If he does, he is financially supporting her he just wishes not to exercise his visitation, therefore you will not be granted the termination and adoption unless he agrees.

If he does not pay Child support and he does not see her, then it would be the "involuntary Termination" and the motion to adopt right after.  I believe you file this with the juvenile court.  You can call the clerk to get that information.

I don't see how this is family court except for the adoption part.  I would call and ask, because I am not real sure.  Check the adoption form, it should tell you where you need to serve it and file it in the directions.


No actually he doesn't want to sign nor do we really know if he would or not. he has dropped off the face of hearth for the past 3 years. he is not a US citizen and reside in Asia

So no CS, he pays nothing

I'll go downtown to the self help center, they might know the process