Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:24:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

1 in 25 Men Might Be Raising Another Man's Child....

Started by flewwellin, Aug 12, 2005, 08:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flewwellin

I just received this as an email that I regularly get and thought it was worth sharing. The link is provided below.

http://ancpr.com/blog/archives/13

Brent

It's likely much higher than that. Many of the stats I've seen run in the 10% range.

Sherry1

around and this child does not resemble the other 2 kids or DH in any way shape or form.  This child is very highly emotionally disturbed and will likely institutionalized within the next year.  BM also has a sick attraction with him.  This child slept with BM in same bed until he was 12 years old.

4honor

"The American Medical Association found through screening families of children awaiting organ transplants that 20% of the fathers (in supposedly stable monogamous marriages) are not the biological father. This is a cross section of the population, and is very reliable."

One in five is duped.

Makes you want to get all your kids DNA tested just in case.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

wendl

Personally I think every child born should have DNA testing at birth, regardless if you are in a marriage or not, regardless if you or the other person has cheated (If you didn't cheat no worries right)

That way men will not get duped into fatherhood if they are not the childs biological father and hence would have the choice to adopt said child if it is not his.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

Kitty C.

Having worked on an OB floor, I can't even begin to imagine how many fathers listed in the BC were false.  If there was no cheating involved, a mother should not be worried or offended by the requirement.  'Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.'
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

flewwellin

I agree also. My DH was cheated on by his wife after she had their first kid and seriously how does he KNOW for sure that the children are his?  He doesn't but he doesn't want to get a DNA test because he has right to these kids and if it comes out neg that he isn't the father it would tear him up.  Another injustice if you ask me!   I agree that it should be a madatory procedure and I am married with a baby on the way and have no worries at all!  I know exactly who the father of my baby is ( YES my husband!)

futureuselesseater

Personally I think this is a stupid idea.  People have civil rights and no man and women in marriage should be forced by a law to have  DNA test to prove that the man is the father of his child.  bad idea IMO.

Brent

>Personally I think this is a stupid idea.  People have civil
>rights and no man and women in marriage should be forced by a
>law to have  DNA test to prove that the man is the father of
>his child.  

Lol, so you're okay with being duped into raising another man's child because your wife was out screwing around on you? Really?

Not me. And "civil rights" has nothing to do with it.

smtotwo

DH is probably raising his own brothers child, however we havent had DNA done because in our state it doesn't matter.  They were married and 3 yrs had passed before he knew she slept with his brother.
In our state you have 30 days THIRTY DAYS to dispute paternity if you're married.

DH had no idea she was sleeping around, so no reason to request DNA.
THIS SHOULD BE DONE FOR EVERY BIRTH!!
Even if he were to do the DNA now it would only hurt him and the child he feels is his even if not biologically.

Still he pays $$$ every month for a child he see's eow if she allows it.

Kitty C.

You need to think of the broader picture.  This isn't to point fingers at anyone to see who's cheating and who isn't.  Think about the child and the genetic history he or she carries.  If that child ends up with some congenital disease, many times that's when fathers find out they aren't biological.

This isn't to point fingers and place blame, it's for the safety and well-being of the child.  And personally, given the circumstances and reasons pro and con, I'd be more than happy to have DNA testing done, if it means that my child's future health is protected.  Like I said, those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

penny

I think DNA testing is a great idea. In cases of medical emergency, knowing the biological parents would be great advantage to the child. What kind of trama would be created to the father to find out that he cannot donate blood or kidney because he is not the bio dad? Is it fair to the child not to know their real dad? Is it right for the real bio father not to know he has a child? Maybe there is a set of grandparents out there, who would love to have a grandchild that they didn't know they had. Why shouldn't the woman fess up to being unfaithfull? If we had mandatory DNA testing, maybe there would be alot less screwing around? Guys wouldn't have to pay support on kids that are not theirs. Marriage is built on trust, what kind of marriage can it be if one person has been lied to for years. If babies were tested at birth, it would sure save alot of headaches and heartaches for everyone involved and maybe the life of a child in medical emergency.

4honor

If DNA should ever be done at birth (as a rule) then medical databases would have information on your genetics on file... how many young adults would grow up and not be able to obtain life insurance because they carry the cancer genes in their DNA?

I support the testing of paternity only and at birth. Embarassing for the BM? Well, she shouldn't have bared it and shared it so much to begin with.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

Kent

This is an interesting article...
Not at all trying to defend sleep-around-wives, and it would be interesting to know how common this is. (My guess though, not very often)

FYI...

I saw a program on the Discover Channel this weekend about people who were their own twin. There were two women who had DNA testing and their children didn't have their DNA. One woman was in court to prove the paternity of her boyfriend and found her DNA didn't match the children's DNA. Since she was getting government assistance, the children were taken from her. They said she was trying to commit fraud. However, extensive DNA testing showed she was the mother. They took samples from different organs, etc. The judge in the case stated, I wonder how many men may be chimeras and DNA showed they weren't the father? So, now who knows, DNA testing may get more complex.

The term "chimera" (ki-MER-ah) has two definitions, the first being the mixture of two or more individuals in a single body. In humans this can occur at the beginning of cell division after conception, and two separate embryos are formed (twins). If these two embryos fuse together in part but not wholly the twins born are co-joined in some part of their anatomy, sharing it, and are known as Siamese twins. However, if the two embryos are fused together and become one single embryo, the embryo carries two separate yet complete sets of DNA, and the genetic code for two separate individuals in one single embryo. This child born is then known as a "chimera."

They even talked about children where two embroyos fused together, one male and one female, creating a child that was half of one gender and half of the other gender.

Kitty C.

...Only if the DNA testing done includes a request for those specific anomalies.  When DNA testing is ordered, it must be specific as to what is being looked at, not unlike blood testing.  If a blood sample is taken, they don't run it for 'everything', only specific tests.  Same with DNA, if ordered to determine parentage, that is the ONLY thing they will be looking at.  To involve considering all possible genetic anomalies would increase the cost dramatically and take weeks or even months to get results on.  

DNA and blood testing is the same, in that there must be a SPECIFIC request of what they are looking for, but different in that it takes an inordinate amount of time to get results when a broad spectrum of testing is requested.

So if DNA testing is requested to establish paternity ONLY, that is the ONLY result that will be registered.