Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 05:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wanting shared custody

Started by sixstringdad, Jan 19, 2004, 03:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixstringdad

I'm in the process of getting my things togeather to file for shared custody. This will be a modification from joint legal custody that I have now. I am wondering if the living arrangment at my home, being the ncp, would effect the decision process of getting shared custody.                                                                               Currently, I can only afford a 1 bedroom apt. My bedroom is set up with a toddler bed and a dresser for my 2 1/2 yr old daughter as well as my bed and dresser.(her toys are taking over my room...lol) This living arrangment was not a factor in the joint legal case but I'm afraid that it might if I file for shared custody. My daughter could careless about my living arrangment as far as I can tell, But I'm not sure if a judge would take this into consideration.  I guess if it came down to it, I could sleep out on the couch during overnight visitation. Any thoughts or info?

kiddosmom

Unfortunatly, because you are a male figure and the child is female, yes that will be a consideration.
My suggestion, get a 2 bdr. I understand that this will be difficult.

Peanutsdad

One of the thing you may run into with filing your mod,, you will be asked about the home, you may even end up having a home eval done by a social worker for the state. The answers to your question are as varied as there are counties in this country.

If your ex is against the mod, count on your home being evaluated. I would wait to file anything like that until you are able to provide your daughter her own room.