Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 10:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

? for Lamowe -- terminating parental rights

Started by bluesky, Aug 24, 2004, 10:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesky

Hello,

I was wondering if their was a law that states that it would be illegal for any family member to contact the minor child if the parental rights of the father was revoked? I was told thier was such a law, but cannot find any information on it. If this is true or not, do you know where I can go to get detailed information?

Thank you!

bluesky

Lawmoe

I imagine that would depend on your particular state.  I would guess that in most states, it is not against the law per se.  In fact, some states specifically allow agreements with regard to contact with other relatives to be included as part of a TPR order.  Minnesota is such a State.

If such rights are not specifically preserved (and they can only be preserved with consent of the legal parent after the TPR)  the family of the parent whose rights were terminated also have no legal relationship to the child after the TPR has been concluded.  If unwanted contact occurs, the legal parent could certainly file for a restraining order.

DeeDee

I hate this but had to add...

If termination of parental rights took place, and  a stepparent or "other" sort of adoption did...then grandparents would have no right to visit said child unless it was under an adoption agreement. (this has been upheld in all states thus far)..

Lawmoe

Yes.

That is what I was trying to say.  If I was unlear, I apologize.  Nice clarification.