Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 04:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When will CS end?

Started by melpl46, Jul 06, 2009, 01:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melpl46

My ex and I divorced in Illinois, and the decree was written that she would live in FL with the kids.  The original IL support was calculated using IL guidelines, and explicitly states that I pay until they reach age 18 but to continue paying CS if they're in college and living with her, up until and in no event past the age of 20.  It's also expressly written and agreed that neither of us is obligated to bear any post-secondary school expenses.

A few years later, she domesticated the agreement to FL for the purpose of modifying the child support, which she successfully doubled under FL's guidelines.  I pay for all medical expenses, including the kids' insurance and 100% of travel expenses to exercise visitation.  I have also moved out of IL to another state.  The new CS agreement continues until age 18.

Shortly after the modification, she moved to Alabama where the age of majority is 19, and the court can order college expenses.  If she domesticates the FL agreement to AL, will child support continue to age 19, and will I have to pay for college, even though our original decree says that neither of us is obligated to do so? 

Kitty C.

I would contact an atty.....if for nothing else but a consultation.  She's venue shopping and I'm not sure if she can legitimately change states again so soon.

As an aside.......if you can try to talk her into moving to IA, CS can be ordered during post-secondary education, BUT.........the CS is paid directly and only to the child and the child must maintain an average grade point in order to receive the CS and/or any financial assistance for tuition, etc. from either parent. 
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......