Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 05:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Capitol One Ad Not funny

Started by antonin, Feb 29, 2004, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonin

A recent Capitol One ad depicts a women pushing her husband into what appears to be a pool or a body of water near a pier. She says, "What! All these years and you've never got a Capitol One Card?" then she shoves him into the brink. Apparently, she is upset because she cannot take advantage of free perks or whatever that the card offers.
Twenty years ago, I probably would have laughed. Today I become angry. Below I clipped the first two questions from a DV shelter website, questions routinely asked women to determine whether or not they are in abusive relationships.

1- Does your partner put you down and call you names?
2- Have you ever been slapped? Hit? Choked? Pushed? Bitten? Burned?

You can be sure if that was a female being pushed into the water, that DV groups would be descending upon Capitol One.
There is of course, the obvious DV double standard, but there is something else here: she is justified in pushing him because she belives she is not providing adequately for her material needs.

Whew!

I cry_ in_the_dark

Having recently gone thru hell and having some major changes in income(loss of child support-which of itself was no concern, but now paying out child support...), I called Capital One to see what I could do about preserving my good credit.

I questioned about the ad on TV and the 4% APR vs. the 12+% that I was paying. "Well no", they tell me, "That's for solicitation purposes only". Well ya know, I'm soliciting! Ha. I tell them to look at my record and see that I always make my payments on time, and I don't want to ruin my credit, please help me.

What they ended up doing was changing my due date to a time more suitable for me, and allowed me to make my payment that month late without charging me the fees. Ok, that's a help. It was December, and Christmas and all...

I make my payments...Then in February I get a notice that they are now going to start charging anyone with a balance over $400 a monthly fee. Oh really? I know 2 other people with Cap1 Cards...I call my sis, I call my friend, gee, they didn't get notice!

Yup...I closed my account. Balance transferred to a different card. Lower payment, lower APR. Yah, I know, will probably pay more in the long run, but Cap1 will get no more of my money.

doood

in the beginning, the guy leaves promising to return to the woman. it takes him twenty years to come back, and presumably she has been waiting for him the whole time. she's mad because if he'd had the capital one card, he would have racked up enough frequent flier miles to come back sooner. much less funny than the one where the horse farts in the blonde's face.

Kitty C.

Did I miss that one?????  Damn!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

antonin

Okay, thanks for the plot calrification: Why does it take him twenty years to come back?