Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 19, 2024, 09:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Could use some advice on custody of my strange situation.

Started by fireflam.rcaa, Apr 12, 2011, 07:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireflam.rcaa

So, hello.. this is new to me and all, but I have been dealing with some odd issues with my ex lately and I want what is best for my daughter. I'm not sure of how to handle this, the correct way. So I have a 7 year old little girl, she is precious to me. I have shared legal and decision making and receive visitation. I have never missed a visit, with the exception of having to work, which I have made arrangement to trade days so it works out. My ex is 27 and still lives with her mother, or so I thought until today. Many arguements in the past, but seem to get along fairly well the last year since I married and have another child.. should have known something was up. Anyway, today my daughter let it slip that "mom" had been to court.. for a "bad" boyfriend and that she was afraid to go back to the apt.... I was like WHAT?!?!

I have just completed some checking and found out that she had been in an abusive relationship and had gotten section 8 apt a mile away from her mothers home. Okay, so.. my daughter explains to me that mommy has not been living with her at night since her birthday, (my daughters). that was over a month ago. I have been wanting more time with my daughter since my new job has me working only 2 24's a week, but have been denied any extra time because her grandmother who has been raising her doesn't want me to have any extra time.

I live in WV.. it's rough even on good fathers. I mean.. what are my chances for increased visitation?
I have a home, stable living conditions, pension, and good insurance. I work as a paramedic and my wife is a nurse. Should this not be enough to get somethint better than the 30-70 I get now?
Advice please.

ocean

You could try to get emergency temporary custody of her through your family court house (they will have the papers). Depending on what the charges were and if the child saw anything plus that mother left child with Grandma and is no longer living in the house (but is that still true?). Fathers have more rights then Grandparents. At the same time, ask for a RO for child against mom's boyfriend (again, depending on what he did in case she wants to go back to him).
If you do it this way, you will get in front of a judge or they will read the papers in a day or two and get a decision.

You can go back and ask for a modification of visitation to include times mother can not be with child and change the schedule to when mother has child. This way will take a few months at the very least to deal with and she may move back into mom's house and then things are back to normal but you can still ask that when she has to work or away for XX hours she has to call you first for a babysitter over grandma.