Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 17, 2024, 02:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Advocy/Advice for MI parent seeking visitation

Started by RecoveryisReal, Aug 14, 2012, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


Hi There
First of all, I just want to be up front and say I am seeking advice on behalf of a person I work with so while I don't have all the insight and information, I really want to be able to find a good way to begin to help this gentleman be able to connect with  his son.  In a nutshell (no pun!), about 10yrs ago he had a psychotic break in which he caused physical harm.  He was committed and spent about 6yrs in an institution where he recieved treatment and through that facility's authority is now considered recovered and able to live independently in community. 

I have known him and worked with him for a year.  He has history of stable mental health for a number of years, is not chemically dependent and has been sober for more than a decade.  His wife has not divorced him, but only allows intermittent phone calls and finds reasons for not allowing physical visits.  He is fearful if he tries to be a little more assertive in regards to visits, he may not be able to ever see his son, who he has not seen in person for 5 or 6 years.  What am I looking for?  I would love some insight/shared experiences that I could share with him so that a) he will maybe not feel so alone and without resources b) advice on how to address this issue with him. 

It is something that he has talked about wanting to do, but really seems lost.  I certainly don't want to push him or get too into his business, but definitely want to advocate and assist in a gentle, non-invasive manner.  He is aware that I am working on resources, so this posting is not being done behind his back or anything-I would just really love to hear from anyone, particularly men, who has maybe experienced something similar and would like to share insight into what was most helpful for them.
Thanks and many blessings!


No experience but need basic information.  Is he in the same vicinity (county, state) as his son?  How old is the child?  Why has there been no divorce?  When you said "physical harm" was that to the child, the mother or someone else?
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!


Completely agree with the above shared suggestion.


Your friend will need an attorney.  We had a MI case...Grand Rapids area...Jim Kraayeveld is an excellent attorney.  With his help we set court precedence making it easier for all fathers in MI to get custody of their children!