Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:57:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"raised Catholic"

Started by MixedBag, Jan 07, 2013, 09:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

This term is in the original divorce decree.

Oldest child is now turning 7 with one behind that at age 6.

CP wants to enroll in Religious Education etc...

NCP objects because on the NCP's weekend they travel 5 hours back to where they used to live.

CP moved 5 hours away a few years ago, NCP followed and relocated.

NCP has no religion.

CP has not been an active practicing Catholic -- but now since the child has become of age to start Sunday School, here we go.

SO.....Predictions requested:

What's a judge gonna say?

(Oh yea.....not me anymore.....k!!!)

Kitty C.

Didn't think that was you, MB!  Unless there's something you haven't been telling us, LOL!

I would say cross your fingers that the judge takes into consideration how many hours the child has to ride in a vehicle.  If worse comes to worse, I'd be asking for compensation for mileage and gas....that's a lot of wera and tear on a vehicle.  I think the going rate with the IRS is 55 cents per mile, but I'm not sure....
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

OK, didn't make myself clear.  (After all these years, I still can't post a situation right and share the relevant facts clearly!  hahahahaha!  at myself).

CP and NCP live in the same town now because NCP moved and followed CP.

NCP objects because they would rather drive back to the original town and visit their family OVER the requirement to stay in town and let child attend Sunday School.

ocean

Call the Sunday school and see if the father can do home study on his weeks. We did that and as long as it worked out with the church then all was good. Some churches even do some home weeks as they can not get religion teachers volunteers as much around here. See what the bottom line requirements are especially when there is a divorce order is in place and child is not in that town on some weeks.

MixedBag

That's close to what I suggested....get the homework for the missing weekends.

NCP is not willing to do this and says since the "Oregon court is so liberal and since the CP hasn't been an active practicing Catholic in the past years, they're gonna take their chance in court."

I'm trying to convince the NCP that this is the wrong approach -- the order says "raised Catholic" and you have to go from there OR petition the court to get the order changed -- and therefore prove that it's in the child's best interest to remove this language.

which I don't think will happen.

I think the NCP is gonna be in trouble....and can't seem to convince them of this.

ocean

I agree, at least call the church and see what the requirements are so that way in court if it is going towards allowing the sunday school, there are options that can be made. Depends on how long the class is, what time, and how much it will interfere in dad's time. This is the age they start sunday school so saying she does not go may not fly in court. If she starts bring child on Sunday for class then they will be there each week for services (I am guessing?). Here was have religion on Sat or after school one day and mass on Sun. That could be another option, see if they have classes during the week.

MixedBag

I agree -- that the solution is "during the week" -- here in AL, they don't have that option, but I'm about 99% sure that the NCP could get the missing homework, etc, and that Father would allow the family to work it out.

Think judge....how would a judge handle this?

I know that in my personal situation,  I had two subjects that were "vague" and both subjects made the Judge mad when Dad didn't follow the stuff that he was supposed to do, but wasn't specifically ordered.

So maybe the NCP isn't ordered to take the child to Sunday School/RE, but "raised Catholic" includes that (IMHO).

Kitty C.

Sorry, MB!  That was my fault!  I was answering from work and apparently was too distracted to read your original post accurately. Silly me!   :D
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

I stayed out of the conversation -- got to be a fairly long one -- but SM finally did some calling around town and poof there is another local Catholic Church who does classes during the week.

NOW for some strange reason, she's (and dad) is on board.....yep, that's sarcasm on my part.

Not too particularly fond of this SM and some of her past complaints because when pushed, she doesn't have a valid complaint and skews what she posts.  (Not that anyone ELSE has been guilty of that, huh?)