Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 28, 2024, 03:21:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

please help

Started by John-J-Jay, Jun 14, 2007, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John-J-Jay

mistoffolees

Things move slowly. 8 months is a long time, but certainly not unheard of.

If you are concerned, ask another attorney about their experience in getting a hearing for child support. My guess is that they'll confirm that it takes quite a while.

However, there seems to be some mis-communication. First, you state that your attorney has been unable to get a hearing. Then you state that the attorney says that if you have a hearing the other side will contest custody - which implies that he's not in favor of doing it at all. You need to find out specifically whether he is filing for a hearing and/or when he did so. That way you'll know what's going on.

Consider whether the attorney might be right. Have you calculated the amount of support you might get based on your state guidelines? There are online calculators that will tell you what to expect. Balance that against how many years you'll be receiving custody (if you've had the child for 8 years, then it's 10 years or less remaining). Also factor in the expense of a likely court battle on custody - and your attorney is right about that being almost guaranteed if you ask for support.

Finally, I wish people would get off it with the 'sexually biased court system'. You're a divorced father with 100% custody of your kids and you've won every court decision to date. Just where is the bias? The court is slow for everyone. Complaining about bias where none exists detracts from the ability to address it in cases where it really DOES exist.

John-J-Jay

mistoffolees

>do u think she has a chance at custody after all these years
>becuase i'm asking for child support?

There's always a chance of anything, but from what you've described in your repeated posts on the same question, the odds are slim.

However, that doesn't mean she can't sue for custody and cost you tens of thousands of dollars in defending yourself.